Installing Western Digital Advanced Format Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering how I should install a WD advanced format drive? Should I install the drive then run the WD Align utility before adding it to the pool? How do I tell if it has advanced format or not? WD said that some green and blue series drives had the advanced format but did not say how to tell other than the drive would be marked at so. What does that mean? That could be anything from a serial number extension or "advanced format drive" spelled out. I have a black series drive so I am not sure it matters.
    Perry
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:03 AM

All replies

• WD drives with Advanced Format technology include special installation information on the drive label so be sure to read the label on your drive before installing it.

For more information try Googling or Binging or whatever for "western digital advanced format" and you will most likely find more than you wanted.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I was wondering how I should install a WD advanced format drive? Should I install the drive then run the WD Align utility before adding it to the pool? How do I tell if it has advanced format or not? WD said that some green and blue series drives had the advanced format but did not say how to tell other than the drive would be marked at so. What does that mean? That could be anything from a serial number extension or "advanced format drive" spelled out. I have a black series drive so I am not sure it matters.

Perry

BullDawg
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 2:43 PM