Best practices for deploying customisations after upgrade to version 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are running a highly customised version of CRM 3 (javascript, AJAX, .NET ASPX coding) and I would like to know what are the best practices in terms of upgrading our code.

At the moment we have a standalone server with CRM 4 (upgraded from 3) for test purposes

However, in our other environments we have version 3 running and we are constantly making changes to the system (developing code in TEST then deploying it to UAT and finally into Production.

The main issue I have is that after the upgrade to version 4 we found out that a lot of code was broken due the fact that the URL constructs have changed to support the company name. Also a lot of out Javscript had to be changed as we used a lot of unsupported coding.

I would like to at some stage do the rollover to version 4 for the other environments like UAT and Production.

At the moment I am busily fixing all this code in CRM 4 and at the same time I am making changes to CRM 3. This causes an issue for the code to become out of sync between the two systems.

I do no think it is possible to just fix the code in version 4 and deploy these customisations to the other environments after they have been upgraded if the code is out of sync.

At the moment I cannot think of another way of upgrading besides freezing all changes in version 3. Upgrade one environment  to 4, fix all the code and then deploy these changes to another environment after it has been upgraded to version 4.

Please advise.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:48 AM

Answers

• I think you are on the right track.  Since you are trying to get upgraded to CRM 4, I think you have to have a moretorium on any further changes to CRM 3.  This will allow you to get the current code base ported to CRM 4, get CRM 4 up and running in production, allow the user's to begin using the system, work out any issues, and once the system is stabablized, implement change requests.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:11 PM

All replies

• Any ideas???
    Monday, June 14, 2010 11:35 PM
  • I think you are on the right track.  Since you are trying to get upgraded to CRM 4, I think you have to have a moretorium on any further changes to CRM 3.  This will allow you to get the current code base ported to CRM 4, get CRM 4 up and running in production, allow the user's to begin using the system, work out any issues, and once the system is stabablized, implement change requests.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:11 PM