OneCare for Server subscription pricing RRS feed

• Question

• I am running SBS 2008 Standard. I am running the trial of OneCare for Server. To subscribe to OneCare for Server I have 3 options:

1 Year of Windows Live OneCare for Server for $189.95

1 Year of OneCare for Server + OneCare Site License for $399.95

2 Years of OneCare for Server + OneCare Site License for $699.95

I only have 3 other client connected, so is it possible to buy the Server only plan and then buy regular OneCare for PCs at $49.95 and have them sync? If not, there seems to be a disconnect between a 5 or 10 user SBS environment and a 40 or 50 user SBS environment.

This website does not give any details about pricing structure:

http://get.live.com/onecare/server?wa=wsignin1.0 

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:00 PM

Answers

• OneCare for Server is for SBS 2008, not SBS 2003. You can install OneCare on the clients as long as they are not domain joined, but you can't install on the server as it requires the 64 bit OS of SBS 2008.

There is currently an issue with any PC that is domain joined to SBS 2003 being blocked from subscribing to the PC version due to the existence of a registry key that isn't supposed to be populated in SBS 2003, but apparently is. The key can be removed and OneCare installed, then the PC joined to the domain after the install and activation on the PC.

Assuming you had SBS 2008, the structure of pricing you have quoted is the only pricing I'm aware of.

-steve

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:00 PM

All replies

• OneCare for Server is for SBS 2008, not SBS 2003. You can install OneCare on the clients as long as they are not domain joined, but you can't install on the server as it requires the 64 bit OS of SBS 2008.

There is currently an issue with any PC that is domain joined to SBS 2003 being blocked from subscribing to the PC version due to the existence of a registry key that isn't supposed to be populated in SBS 2003, but apparently is. The key can be removed and OneCare installed, then the PC joined to the domain after the install and activation on the PC.

Assuming you had SBS 2008, the structure of pricing you have quoted is the only pricing I'm aware of.

-steve

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Did you ever find out if it is possible to purchase the server only license for $189.95 and have it sync with computers running Onecare for PCs using the standard $49,95 license? I am in the same situation and would like to know what my options are.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Sync? No, as the server license without the client license package is a single subscription. Using a 3 PC retail license on the clients to subscribe, means that the 3 PCs are on a different subscription. I doubt that the server copy can then manage these PCs as they are on a different subscription. Furthermore, if the clients PCs are domain joined, you can't activate the retail subscription on them without a hack discussed in other threads (which is actually a workaround for a bug where a SBS2003 domain joined PC can't be activated with a retail subscription).

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Thats interesting because it does seem to be working on the trial subscription. I have 2 computers on a retail subscription and a Windows Server 2008 machine on the trial subscription and it looks like I can manage OneCare for all 3 machines from the server. Do you think that once the trial runs out and I subscribe it will no longer work?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:34 PM
  • I don't know, actually.

Since you have installed on Server 2008 and not SBS Server 2008 and the clients are not joined to the SBS Domain, it may treat the subscriptions differently and allow them to con-mingle. If I didn't make it clear in my last reply, I don't know for sure and provided speculation about the behavior based on my understanding of the subscription relationship. It may behave differently when it is not a SBS license, but strictly a Server license coupled with a 3 seat retail client license. Note that at this time every 3 seats would need their own subscription with a different LiveID, so if it worked for a single license pair, it won't as you add more PCs under different LiveIDs.

It may also be working because the trial mode doesn't tie back to the license for subscriptions, but once activated it may see these as different subscriptions, even if you are using the same LiveID for the Server and Client subscriptions.

I can't promise a definitive answer, but I'll check. In the meantime, I'd suggest contacting support to see if there is any official information in their hands on your scenario.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:31 PM