Can't access some files on a restore from Windows 7 pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I decided to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 this week. I ran a full manual backup to my WHS and then booted off the win7 disc and formatted and did a full install. After that I installed my connector and it asked for the server password and registered the new windows 7 install. Now I can use the WHS console to open my old vista install and get my files. Here's where I have a problem, Most of them I can access just fine. There are some that give a "Can't read from the source file or disk" error. It's always the same files in the backup that gives this error. Other files, I'm able to copy just fine. There doesn't appear to be errors when I did the original backup. It's almost like the backed up files have the wrong permissions or something but I can't change them because the restore volume is read only.

Any idea? Maybe run a repair? Not sure what to do here.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 12:06 AM

All replies

• Hello.

I decided to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 this week. I ran a full manual backup to my WHS and then booted off the win7 disc and formatted and did a full install. After that I installed my connector and it asked for the server password and registered the new windows 7 install. Now I can use the WHS console to open my old vista install and get my files. Here's where I have a problem, Most of them I can access just fine. There are some that give a "Can't read from the source file or disk" error. It's always the same files in the backup that gives this error. Other files, I'm able to copy just fine. There doesn't appear to be errors when I did the original backup. It's almost like the backed up files have the wrong permissions or something but I can't change them because the restore volume is read only.

Any idea? Maybe run a repair? Not sure what to do here.
    You can try repairing the backup database.  Or you might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:58 AM
  • yep, I did all that. no errors on the server disk or in the database. It appears to be permissions on the files being restored. Some files in my backup my Administrator user can't restore some files because it can't read them.  I have no idea why. I can see the files, but it won't let me access them (Same files every time).
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:52 AM
  • yep, I did all that. no errors on the server disk or in the database. It appears to be permissions on the files being restored. Some files in my backup my Administrator user can't restore some files because it can't read them.

I doubt that.  If that was the case, you should get an "Access is denied" error.

I have no idea why. I can see the files, but it won't let me access them (Same files every time).
    At this point, I think you should plan on deleting the entire backup database (back it up first if you so desire, see the Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief for details on how to do that), and start a new one, then try restoring files from the new backup database.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:06 AM