Workaround to "neuter" tuneup defrag RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi.  Like many, I use a third-party defrag tool.  Since there is no option to disable the defrag portion of a tuneup, as a workaround I am trying this:

In the registry, search for:

%systemroot%\system32\DfrgNtfs.exe

Replace with:

%systemroot%\system32\DfrgNtfs_exe.sav

Since the latter doesn't actually exist, tuneup seems to happily move on past defrag to the next step in a tuneup

Anyone see a problem with this, or want to validate my thinking?

Thanks/jad

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:46 PM

All replies

• Interesting solution. I'd be wary of recommending this as it may have other consequences, but since you are using a 3rd party defrag tool, I suppose there is no harm in it.

-steve

Friday, October 5, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Interesting..

But yes, as Steve states, this could cause problems, for example, if an update to OneCare makes it check all OneCare files (AV, Defrag, etc..), and it sees that file as missing, OneCare may not even want to load

Just be careful..
    Monday, October 8, 2007 3:03 AM
  • I let it go the first time, but now I must respond:  clearly my post refers to something a "power user" might try, not advice that would ever be dispensed to a "consumer".

A "Consumer" wouldn't be running a 3rd-party defragmenter, nor would he likely stumble upon my post in an MSDN forum...

Work-arounds are not for the casual user, obviously.

/jad

Monday, October 8, 2007 3:10 AM
  • Most casual users wouldn't have a need to do this, but there are people who will find this thread and will try your solution. As I said, it is an interesting one and I'm glad that it works for you.

-steve

Monday, October 8, 2007 6:27 PM
  • obvious solutiuon is to have a check mark to check or uncheck, with the default be checked to protect consumers.  How dare anyone have something other than what microsoft offers!  If MS would think customer and not dollars, or forcing their products on you and develop a user friendly product that does what it says it will do, the market will find the product because everyone will rave how great it works, rather than all the problems they encounter.  One example, how crazy is it that MS Live One Care is not recognized by the system and then you get an error your firewall is not on (The actual system's) but it really is.  Its easy tom fix by rebooting 2-3 times to fix the error, and I don't mind because I have nothig else to do in my life.  Ironic MS system registries try to prevent its own product from working cause its so concerned about the dollar and not customer convenience and service.   I know what some of you are going to say and yes I know keeping all the products in the family can be beneficial and its a easy concept -- offer products that offer what the market offers.  I use a product by Diskkeeper Corp. because it MS takes too long, doesnt peform by defrag everything.  Diskkeeper works all the time when ur system is idle so it doesn't hog all ur resources like Ms or Live care do when the tuneup is running. Its the slowest thing ever.  Offer the best products and stay ahead of the game and you will always have customers.  Overall I am happy with the product but it seems the quirks are odd and should have been worked out long ago even for a beta prodcut.  The products are not tested well.  For example, the latest quiirk is the monthly report states I have not selected the option to remove unecessary files  yet if you display the report it shows clearly it did perform this task and if you check in the settings its checked.  Maybe it the correct result is it didnt perform the task and the other 2 items are wrong, or maybe my setting selections are broke and don't reallly update anything...... Its wasted time to check things that are being done but your own product doesnt have the correct tools in place to figure it out.....thats when I start wondering what else is wrong....like maybe I have viruses and the software is to unstable to really find them because it can't see them in order to remove them or maybe there not there to begiin with and the producst thinks they are there or  report says it removed something that it didnt really remove....its endless with the time and effort to send feedback and then you get a reponse one day it will be fixed.....not sure I will still be around.  
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Mark,

I couldn't agree more.  How hard would it be to allow a user to turn-off any portion of tune-up.  I purchased One Care for virus protection - nothing else.  I should have the option to turn it off.  I guess Microsoft is going the way of Apple - no options just what Mr. Jobs thinks we want.  The power of the PC and PC products is that they offer options - if you are going to take options away I might as well run a Mac.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:25 AM
  • gpatterson1160,

You've made it half way to the answer, you just didn't finish the thought. The reason OneCare doesn't have such controls is precisely because it was designed for the non-technical user who wouldn't have such add-on tools.

Onecare was designed for foolproof operation with as few controls as possible so avoid mistakes and confusion. It was estimated that nearly three quarters of PC owners are in this category, though I don't know how this figure was obtained.

OneCare was also designed as a complete all-in-one suite, not a modular product, so just operating the AV alone isn't possible. I think there would be interest if the antivirus and antispyware portions of OneCare were broken out and sold as standalone products, but based on their integrated design this might not actually be very useful as other companies products have clearly shown.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:46 AM
  •  

So what you are saying is that Microsoft doesn't have a one stop Suite for Technical Users and that we should shop elsewhere.  I have been selling OneCare as an all around simple suite of reliable tools to business and home customers and now I have to go back and rebuild the bigger systems using better products than OneCare that my small business customers can't afford and don't they have the skills to use so that I can expand their costs and reliance on me.  with the

end result of loosing business.  Tuneup is doing more than it needs to for me, I should be able to select the drives that need tunedup.  Also what did you do with defrag in VISTA,  I should be able to manually defrag if I need to.  I want to manually defrag the Network Attached storage disks on a different schedule from the system disk, The system disk needs to be defragged more often than the other disks in a system and/external disks. Once a month for System disks and once a quarter for other disks.

The tools are in OneCare, all Microsoft has to do is write some XML's for Technical support to tailor bigger systems than one computer but too small for full time tech support. 

No since you set up a Hub PC, the hub PC should hold updates that can be accessed by all of the PC's for updates and OneCare should look on the Hub PC first for updates before downloading.

OneCare has the ability to be the 2nd best Microsoft product for Windows and a real Cash Cow with needing to be relicensed every year.  Everyone that is installing OneCare is demonstrating their faith in Microsoft to deliver the best all around protection for their PC, believe in Microsoft's ability to provide up to date antivirus and spyware protection.  They deserve the tools  that allow them to tailor OneCare to most efficiently provide that protection.

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:57 PM