none
Sync Folders/Files Over HTTPS RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I downloaded the example to see how great the sync framework works over local folders. I want to incorporate this into working over HTTPS. I know there are some samples provided using WCF, but I am unclear how to use them. I am looking for a strong demo with this and/or developers that might be able to do this for my company. Help!
    Monday, May 2, 2011 3:51 AM

Answers

• As I mentioned in the previous reply, SyncFx FileSyncProvider doesn't control the network protocol. Please check the network throughput when accessing files through WebDav and check how to make WebDav connection more reliable. I saw a lot of WebDav related questions were discussed in IIS Forum (http://forums.iis.net/1045.aspx). You may want to post WebDav configuration question there to get more helps.

Thanks,

Dong

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SyncFx FileSyncProvider cannot be easily enabled for n-tier sync. It can sync with remove folder through net share. There are a number of code samples for you to learn SyncFx, and how it works with WCF. Please check the link:  http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync.

Thanks,
    Dong

Monday, May 2, 2011 7:53 PM
  • So you are saying I can't simply enable it. I understand that. I don't know what code example to look at with WCF that would specifically allow me to use the Sync Framework to sync files and folders via HTTPS. I dont' see a code sample that specifically uses WCF with Folder/File Synchronization to sync via HTTPS.

What does "It can sync with remove folder through net share" mean?

Different approach - can I use WebDav?

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

Net share is the remote folder share that you enabled with "net share" command. And you are right, there is no directly code sample to sync File/Folder with HTTPS. You may need to consider writing custom provider with KnowledgeSyncProvider in order to sync File/Folder with WCF through HTTPS.

Thanks,
    Dong 

Monday, May 2, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Is it realistic to think that WebDav could be used to simulate a local environment through HTTPS? And have folder/file sync work?
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

SyncFx doesn't control which protocol to use. For WebDav, since its redirector can convert HTTP address to a UNC path, I think FileSyncProvider will be able to work in this case. Regarding WebDav with HTTPS, it works only if a computer has KB892211-version files or newer installed (see the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webdav). It is not a limitation of SyncFx though. As long as the folder is from a local or UNC path, and file creationtime, lastmodification time, and file attributes can be changed and fetched as same as normal file system files, FileSyncProvider should work.

Thanks,
    Dong

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Wish it did work. Incredibly slow. Unreasonably slow. And coming up with network errors about 15% of the time. Any ideas on configuring this well?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:55 AM
  • As I mentioned in the previous reply, SyncFx FileSyncProvider doesn't control the network protocol. Please check the network throughput when accessing files through WebDav and check how to make WebDav connection more reliable. I saw a lot of WebDav related questions were discussed in IIS Forum (http://forums.iis.net/1045.aspx). You may want to post WebDav configuration question there to get more helps.

Thanks,

Dong

Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:17 AM