Sibmitted sitemap index and still not indexed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I submitted my sitemap index nearly a month ago and I am still not indexed, is this normal: www.sofomo.com/sitemapIdx.aspx.
    I submitted it through the Webmaster tools and in my robots.txt file
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 3:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As stated in the past, there is a limit to the size of our index and while we would love to index every page on the web and would love to index every site we currently cannot guarantee that each site will be indexed and we don't guarantee coverage to any site. 

We are growing our index all the time. We quadrupled our index size in the last year and hopefully we will continue to grow the same way next year.     So why does it crawl so many pages and index none?  Because we have to select what we think are the best pages.  Not everyone will agree with the design of the selection and ranking algorithm and we are always working on making selection better.

Brett

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe

You are in the index

try entering this (without the speech marks) into a live search  (it also works for google and Yahoo)

"site:http://sofomo.com"

and it will tell you how many pages are indexed for your site, currently 5, which means you win membership of the "Why are so few of my pages indexed" club, Welcome to the club!
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. My confusion is coming from the fact that Google shows I have 141000 pages, Yahoo shows 707 pages and Live shows 5 pages! Yet, I submitted the same sitemap indexes/sitemaps to the 3 search engines.

What am I doing worng?

Thanks for your help,

Joe
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Joe you are not doing anything wrong, what you are experiencing is the same as a good portion of the people on here, you will most likely be referred to the the live search guidelines,

Also you are lucky to have 5 pages indexed a lot of people only have 1 page indexed

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

As stated in the past, there is a limit to the size of our index and while we would love to index every page on the web and would love to index every site we currently cannot guarantee that each site will be indexed and we don't guarantee coverage to any site. 

We are growing our index all the time. We quadrupled our index size in the last year and hopefully we will continue to grow the same way next year.     So why does it crawl so many pages and index none?  Because we have to select what we think are the best pages.  Not everyone will agree with the design of the selection and ranking algorithm and we are always working on making selection better.

Brett

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:23 PM
  •  

Hi Brett,

Thank you for the reply. I repect limitation and now, I understand the reason for the behavior.

Joe

Thursday, April 3, 2008 8:35 PM