XP Activation setup a pain in the @$$ RRS feed

• Question

• I run windows XP Pro, I am a technician and regularly have to test equipment such as hard drives and the occasional CPU I also develop software and one of my latest is using volume shadow copy to backup XP while in use.

In addition to this I am also creating a diagnostic Pen drive at present.

Due to the number of changes in my system of HD's etc I have previously been hit with the re activation msg and had to go through the painfull phone process in order to get things up and running again; I at this time asked the MS representitive to E-Mail the appropriate person and get this reset and have my key divorced from the system so I wouldnt have this hassle again.

Well guess what... two nights ago after testing and luckily backing up my data after a day of fiddling with fitting some new hard drives for myself and having a few problems with part of raid arrays not initializing due to cables being knocked etc I finaly got everything up and running and began work on my diagnostic pen drive.

Unfortunately I was a little tired and stuffed things up and as a result blew away my C drive, so I went through the process of reinstalling XP and drivers etc only to get hit with activation again!!

I went through the phone process and did what I needed to do only to stuff up the installation of my boot manager 1/2 an hour later and guess what I needed to re-install windows...

It also turns out that one of my new sata II setup is playing up and its going to take a week to get a replacement, can we guess what is going to happen then??? I also have a chap coming on monday that wants me to test his ATA raiding controller... OMG this is going to be chronic..

Ill put this as simply as I can...... there are two things I need and I need them yesterday, support has responded with two useless emails and from there I have sent another two over the period of today....

1) I need my windows XP activation code reset to a 0 count so that I wont need to do the activation stuff again, I have lots of addon hardware changes coming up to be able to test gear and I dont have time to be on the phone sorting this stuff.

2) I would like my registration code exempted or divorced from the microsoft activations whatsit because I am absolutley sick to death of :

A) sending emails like this

B) Having my time wasted

C) Not being able to use my machine when it very conveniently fails on a weekend.

PLEASE FIX THIS.

ASAP would be nice

an email to let me know its been done would be nice...

NOTE: I am using one computer , one copy of windows not one copy of windows on 70000 computers despite what you guys may think!

GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive had enough!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:46 AM

Answers

• XPDite,

Consumer editions of Windows XP require activation and there is no legal way around it, period.  You are permitted to istall and activate XP as many times as you want, on one computer at a time.  OEM licenses restrict you to the same computer; retail licenses allow you to move XP from one computer to another.

As Carey posted, activation can be delayed up to 30 days, during which time you can make all the hardware changes desired.  Use the slipstream method to integrate Service Packs into an installation CD, and luckily XP SP3 is right around the corner, saving you the need to use a utility such as nLite to integrate about 100 security and other updates that were published after SP2.

If you do a master installation of XP fully patched and activated, and then use a third party disk imaging utility (Ghost, True Image, etc) to save it, you won't be bothered with activation when you put that image back onto the computer after your hardware experiments.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:51 PM

All replies

• There is a 30 day grace period before product activation becomes mandatory.  I would suggest not activating until you have finalized your hardware configuration.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Your suggestion will not always work either as certain componants of my setup require that service packs be installed and to do that it is my understanding that you have to go through activation process.

In addition I have had to re-install 3 times in a row at one point after the microsoft update web page installed either faulty or in someway inacurate root certificate updates leaving the machine in a complete mess.

Thankfuly whatever the problem was has now been fixed but of course that to microsoft is 3 activations on my license - even tho the hardware didnt change one iota and then a fourth one which actualy got things running and past the root certificate issue.

In addition I change hardware on a regular basis to test other peoples gear and cant afford to be buying a 2nd seperate machine just to be doing hardware tests.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:12 AM
  • XPDite,

Consumer editions of Windows XP require activation and there is no legal way around it, period.  You are permitted to istall and activate XP as many times as you want, on one computer at a time.  OEM licenses restrict you to the same computer; retail licenses allow you to move XP from one computer to another.

As Carey posted, activation can be delayed up to 30 days, during which time you can make all the hardware changes desired.  Use the slipstream method to integrate Service Packs into an installation CD, and luckily XP SP3 is right around the corner, saving you the need to use a utility such as nLite to integrate about 100 security and other updates that were published after SP2.

If you do a master installation of XP fully patched and activated, and then use a third party disk imaging utility (Ghost, True Image, etc) to save it, you won't be bothered with activation when you put that image back onto the computer after your hardware experiments.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:51 PM