HDD CRASHED Back-up was on remote NAS device RRS feed

• Question

• My Laptop HDD Crashed, So I replaced it installed Windows Vista 32 Bit Home Premium, and Live One Care, Accessed my back-up on the nas device file is dated 5-5-09 when just last week it said it was done backing up my computer. Will this be a complete retore of all data and applications from last week or what should I expect? is there a way to restore the entire HDD from the back-up I created?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:53 PM

Answers

• One Care backs up user data such as documents, pictures, e-mail, etc. It does not back up system files or applications. You will have to install Windows and your applications and One Care will restore your data files.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:02 AM

All replies

• One Care backs up user data such as documents, pictures, e-mail, etc. It does not back up system files or applications. You will have to install Windows and your applications and One Care will restore your data files.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:02 AM
  • So Basiclly the support technician on my support call LIED to me stating that the back-up I am restoring would restore my computer to the last restore point One care created with all applications and data and settings as if I never had a HDD failure? NICE another brilliant product from Microsoft that doesn't accomplish what it advertises it does, another worthless product. from a BS company. Support case Number was :1108081734 and the technician was full of "dog Poop". Not to mention how un-american of Microsoft to have some [one] providing uninformed support for it's US based company with US based products. Good job Microsoft for taking american jobs out of the country.

Funny My back-up file is dated 5-5-09 but on Friday July 24, 2009 Live One Care reported that the back-up completed successfully. If the back up file was modified by Live One Care on 7-24-09 would the date and time stamp on the back-up file have been updated to that date? Another perfect example of why NOT to buy Microsoft Products and prolly the reason why they are discontinuing this product since they could never get it to work as intended, like the other 90% of their product line.
    • Edited by JimR1Moderator Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:26 AM Community standards.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:59 AM
  • No, the support technician was mistaken. You can read about the One Care backup features here - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/3/backup.htm and you can see One Care backs up exactly what it says it does. Your operating system and applications can be replaced but your data cannot. I wouldn't call saving your data worthless.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:23 AM
  • OneCare backup starts with a full backup of data according to the plan you have configured and then backs up only changes in subsequent backups. When performing the restore, select the custom restore option for another PC (this is a new PC to OneCare) and select the most recent backup. The end result should be a restore of all data from the last incremental backup point.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:34 PM