Recommended approach for synchronizing SQL Server 2008 Express databases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys!

What is the best way to keep a handful of SQL Server 2008 Express databases in sync? As far as I can tell, at least two options exists within the Sync Framework; Peer-to-peer synchronization via DbPeerSyncProvider and hub-and-spoke synchronization via DbSyncServer - is that correctly understood? What are the pros and cons of the two options?

I haven't been able to find any examples of either option using the new change tracking mechanism in SQL Server 2008 - can you point me to any? I have seen Liams SQL Server Express sample with the customized SQLExpressClientSyncProvider, but this doesn't seem to take into account the new change tracking features - or am I missing something?

It seems that the database cache designer in VS 2008/.NET 3.5 SP1 does only support SQL Server CE as the local/client storage. Can it be tweaked somehow to also support SQL Server Express, or can the generated code be easily modified to support this scenario?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Torsten Seemann

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:39 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:06 AM

Answers

• Firstly the database cache designer cannot be tweaked becuase it is specifically for SQL CE.

As you mention, your options are the peer-to-peer sync DBPeerSyncProvider or the SQL Express hub-spoke sample.

You can enable change tracking on the server side and use it for tracking your changes.

Friday, January 2, 2009 9:22 PM

All replies

• Firstly the database cache designer cannot be tweaked becuase it is specifically for SQL CE.

As you mention, your options are the peer-to-peer sync DBPeerSyncProvider or the SQL Express hub-spoke sample.

You can enable change tracking on the server side and use it for tracking your changes.

Friday, January 2, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Thank you, Mahesh.

What is required in order to change the SQL Express sample to use change tracking? Can you point me to an example of this?

Friday, January 2, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Has anyone been able to get SQL Express 2008 to SQL 2008 standard sync to work with change tracking? If so are there any samples?

Thanks
    Friday, April 3, 2009 5:02 PM