Live Mesh in an office network RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to get the live mesh working between 2 computers on the same network, also I have the same accounting program as the other computer has. When I try to access the folder on the other computer. Program that is on my computer comes up.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:52 PM

Answers

• You don't access the folder on the other computer using Live Mesh. Live Mesh is used to sync folders between devices and, optionally, the Live Desktop. Live Mesh also allows you to remotely connect to another PC in your Mesh and take full control of that PC using Remote Desktop.

More information can be found at www.mesh.com

If you are browsing the network and looking at a shared folder on the other PC, when launching/opening a file from that folder (note, this is not via Live Mesh, but via Windows Explorer) the associated program on your (local) computer will launch with the file from the other PC or network location.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:10 PM

All replies

• You don't access the folder on the other computer using Live Mesh. Live Mesh is used to sync folders between devices and, optionally, the Live Desktop. Live Mesh also allows you to remotely connect to another PC in your Mesh and take full control of that PC using Remote Desktop.

More information can be found at www.mesh.com

If you are browsing the network and looking at a shared folder on the other PC, when launching/opening a file from that folder (note, this is not via Live Mesh, but via Windows Explorer) the associated program on your (local) computer will launch with the file from the other PC or network location.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, how do I connect with a network computer that has a mesh

Roland

Thursday, June 3, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, how do I connect with a network computer that has a mesh

Roland

Roland, I don't know what you are asking. Are you using Live Mesh on two or more networked computers? www.mesh.com

-steve

Friday, June 4, 2010 3:11 PM
  • yes, i have 2 networked computers that I am trying to mesh, but its not important, but I am also trying to mesh with a programs on an  office computer, I have a folder from the office computer but I want to be able to use a program on it. How do I hook up with the program?? 

Roland

Friday, June 4, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Roland, you cannot use a program on the remote computer unless you use Remote Desktop to take control of that computer.

-steve

Monday, June 7, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Both computers, or however many you are using, have to be at least Windows Vista. Like Stephen said, you can't access a program on the computer on the other end. The only thing that Mesh does is take a folder from one computer and saves/updates it on the other computer/computers. You MUST have the program that the file requires in order to edit it.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Both computers, or however many you are using, have to be at least Windows Vista. Like Stephen said, you can't access a program on the computer on the other end. The only thing that Mesh does is take a folder from one computer and saves/updates it on the other computer/computers. You MUST have the program that the file requires in order to edit it.
    When Roland posted, Live Mesh beta was alive and supported on XP. Windows Live Mesh, as you noted, does not run on XP. However that's a topic for a different forum. You've ressurected a thread that is 8 months old and already answered. ;-)

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:34 PM