TrustedInstaller.exe 100% CPU RRS feed

• General discussion

• Trustedinstaller.exe is sucking up all the CPU on my Home Server 2011. This was happening the other day as well.

There are no updates installing, I have Windows Update set to notify me before downloading or installing and it is currently advising me of available updates.

When checking the services the "Windows Module Installer" service is set to automatic and the status is "Starting" - obviously this is the cause.

I haven't change anything or installed anything fancy, so why the **** is this service broken and my Homeserver crippled? I can't stream, I can't do anything while this is occurring.

• Edited by Ken Warren Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:21 PM Watch your language. Continued use of profanity is likely to result in a ban, so please don't do it again.
    • Changed type Sean Zhu - Monday, July 2, 2012 5:38 AM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Allister, how long does the issue last? Does it occur if you set the startup type to "Manual"?

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:19 AM
  • I am having a similar issue. trustedinstaller is sucking all of the cpu power for no apparent reason... as such what is trustedinstaller anyhow, sounds like a virus to me, or some kind of information leech. OK, this system was built on the cheap and uses a sempron 145, I was expecting it to be a little slow, but not unusable? 
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:37 AM