WHS 2011 - Move Folder Wizard leaves behind SHARE.DELETE. folder RRS feed

• Question

• I used the Move Folder Wizard to move my DVDs share from a 1TB drive to a 2TB drive and then replace the 1TB drive with a second 2TB drive.  I then moved the DVDs share from the first 2TB drive to the second 2TB drive.

I noticed that while browsing the file structure on the WHS using the My computer explorer browser (local) that there is a folder called DVDs.DELETE.(75DC2116-1F9E-4F5B-AB8A-340A9D704AE3) in the ServerFolders directory of the first 2TB drive.

The .delete. folder is empty and when I try to open it I get an access denied message.

I am sure that this is harmless, I just have not been able to find out whata it is, and why I can't delete it.  Will the system do a cleanup eventually?  Did a step in the Move Folder Wizard that would delete this folder not execute?

Thanks

J

Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• J

Not that I had noticed previously but I have the same (although I can open the folders), for Folders I have moved in the past. Zero bytes so probably nothing to worry about. I am using 2011 RC as my OEM copy has not arrived yet - which version are you using?

Phil

Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Phil

I am using the full retail from Technet. Oddly enough WHS 2011 - Service Pack 1 when viewed on right click "My Computer" Properties.

Interesting that you can access it.  I went into advanced security settings and the current owner is "Unable to dispaly current owner"

I could probably take ownership with an Admin account, but have not done so.

the default owner of other shares is "SYSTEM", so I could probaly give the .Delete. folder back to "SYSTEM" ownership to at least access it again.

You would think that they would delete the folder- not leave it there- as one of the wizard steps.  Maybe it is left for shadow services reason?

I agree that it is nothing to worry about but the lost ownership gives me pause, and there is nothing on any web searches that talks about this, so it needs to be know.

I look forward to what others have to say

Thanks,

J

CCIE 5648
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:16 PM
  • J

Agreed let's see what others have to say. I think you will find that SP1 is the status of the underlying server 2008 rather than WHS - mine shows SP1 v.721 The original WHS did that with Power Packs (my up to date WHS1 shows SP2 but PP3) - go figure.

Phil

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:28 PM
  • This has just happened to my system.  I have been unable to take ownership of the folders, in fact all actions fail with access denied.
    EricJilot
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:36 PM
  • This has just happened to my system.  I have been unable to take ownership of the folders, in fact all actions fail with access denied.
    EricJilot

did you manage to delete these folders?  also do you know what they are for?  thanks Piers
    Monday, October 1, 2012 5:05 PM