none
WHS (HP MediaServer) and BT Home Hub Backup Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, just bought HP Media Server.  I cant get the backup to complete.  Im using a BT Home Hub and each time the backup gets to about 40% (of 120GB) the hub starts to reboots every minute or so, and thus loses connection.  I've never had issues with the hub before and it doesnt generally reboot unless I am trying this backup.

The dialogue appears to continue to send data to the WHS (albiet very slowly) but when you click on the WHS screen it says lost connection and then tries 20 times to reconnect beofre finally failing and cancelling the backup.  Ive been trying for days and im searching in vain for a solution.  Please help before I finally go mad. Ive tried BT and they were just useless!

Thx.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• My main line of work is sorting out home users and ever since BT blighted the British public by bringing out such a half baked and shoddy product called the home hub one thing I've constantly had is grief with the bleeding things, just like their useless tech support since it's moved to the subcontinent. I must have thrown out 50+ substituting them for a proper router such as Netgear or Linksys over the past couple of years.

You could try changing the Home hubs wireless channel cos it's wifi performance is pants, it's default channel is 1 and if you neighbour has a home hub nearby they don't like it.  You access the web interface by http://192.168.1.254, click advanced settings with username/password both admin and change the wireless channel.  While you're doing that change the encryption to wpa-psk cos BT in their wisdom decided to generate the default wep key from the hex name of the home hubs ssid leaving a maximum of only 80 different combinations to try - My macbook pro using this list can break into any home hub in less than a minute!
    Friday, July 4, 2008 8:54 PM
  • I have found that for the first backup a wired connection works best. After that wireless works great. If I remember correctly it is recommended to do the first one wired.

Friday, July 4, 2008 9:15 PM
  • OP,

As Gav says, there have been quite a lot of problems with the BT Home Hub, to say the least!

However, Andrew Edney has written a WHS handbook in which he sets up a WHS with a BT Home Hub. Also, the WeGotServed web site, is a UK based one, so a quick read through their forum will probably reveal some answers, as might a quick search  on here.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:10 AM