External IP Address for AV Edge? RRS feed

• Question

• According to the EdgeDeploy.doc

·         The external IP address of the A/V Edge Server must be a external IP address that is directly contactable by external parties

Does this mean that the external IP of the AV Edge must be a Public IP?

What if there is a firewall and NAT is configured for the AV Edge External IP? Will it still work?

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:59 AM

Answers

• The A/V Edge server has to be a public IP address. Note: This IP address must be a publicly routable IP address.  You can also use one external  IP address for all three roles, but not with out changing the ports.  You can not have one IP address then have all 3 services listening on Port 443.   If you are using port 443 for remote users then you will have to change the port for A/V and Web Conferencing Service.

If you have this configure with A/V edge role on a public routable IP address and all services are started and you sill cannot make a call Communicator to Communicator then you will need to provide some logs for troubleshooting.  On the client you will need the communicatoruccp.log and on the Edge Server you will need to the SIPStack log and on the FrontEnd you will need the SIPStack log.

Louis H

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:11 PM

All replies

• That statement is pretty misleading - hopefully it's clarified by RTM.  In any case, you can most definitely put the Edge server behind a firewall.

EDIT: Thanks for the catch Louis - the A/V Edge role cannot be NAT'd.

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:00 PM
  • Currently my AV Edge is behind a firewall and configured with NAT but I am having issue making call from communicator connected on the internet. I am thinking that by following the statement it will solve the problem. I will try to configured the AV Edge with public IP on Monday.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Have try configuring the  AV Egde with a public IP, the call still drop after being pickup.

Currently my edge server have 3 roles with one internal IP and one external IP. Do you need seperate IP for each edge roles for a consolidate server?

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:43 AM
  • I have the same problem without resolving it.

When I am inside a natted network and using a communicator to A/V call, the call start but immediately throw down the call.

I don't have any ideas.

Luca

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:58 PM
  • The A/V Edge server has to be a public IP address. Note: This IP address must be a publicly routable IP address.  You can also use one external  IP address for all three roles, but not with out changing the ports.  You can not have one IP address then have all 3 services listening on Port 443.   If you are using port 443 for remote users then you will have to change the port for A/V and Web Conferencing Service.

If you have this configure with A/V edge role on a public routable IP address and all services are started and you sill cannot make a call Communicator to Communicator then you will need to provide some logs for troubleshooting.  On the client you will need the communicatoruccp.log and on the Edge Server you will need to the SIPStack log and on the FrontEnd you will need the SIPStack log.

Louis H

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:11 PM