MCSE- What equipment is needed? RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested to start Microsoft MCSE program and need help to understand the basic hardware of software needed to pass the certification. I understand the test preparation books are needed for self study purpose but what else is needed hardware wise to practise ? Can we pass the exam without practical knowledge or hardware? Please advise

Thanks

Monday, October 18, 2010 5:20 PM

Answers

• Can you pass the exam without practical knowledge or hardware?  Maybe, but probably not....and it's really not advisable if you're going to do self study.  The MS Press (and other publishers) books all have exercises to complete that require at least an evaluation copy of the OS to work on.  They also have recommendations as to what sort of system setup to have.  One of the better options is to use either Vista Ultimate (with Virtual PC 2007) or Windows 7 Ultimate (with Virtual PC - a Win7 add-on) and run VM's of Server 2003.

BTW, if you're just starting off, why not consider the MCITP EA on Server 2008?  Server 2003 is 7+ year old technology.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:51 PM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Can you pass the exam without practical knowledge or hardware?  Maybe, but probably not....and it's really not advisable if you're going to do self study.  The MS Press (and other publishers) books all have exercises to complete that require at least an evaluation copy of the OS to work on.  They also have recommendations as to what sort of system setup to have.  One of the better options is to use either Vista Ultimate (with Virtual PC 2007) or Windows 7 Ultimate (with Virtual PC - a Win7 add-on) and run VM's of Server 2003.

BTW, if you're just starting off, why not consider the MCITP EA on Server 2008?  Server 2003 is 7+ year old technology.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:51 PM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,,,

Can anyone help me on this: i need to build a domain with domain users so that i can be able to do the exercises.

My laptop has Windows vista installed + windows server 2008 on virtual pc 2007. is this enough or i have to use another OS in the virtual machine? and how can i configure a domain and domain members is the case advised?

thanks

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:07 PM