no personal folder access for new users RRS feed

• Question

• ok, so I set up a new user/users on my Windows Home Server (up to date on all updates) and I double check after the new user setup to make sure all the permissions are set correctly for shared folders.
    I then log on remotely to the home server using the new users credetials. Everything seems fine until I try accessing any of the personal folders eg. users private folder, any folders created by admin or folders beloning to other users, the browser requests the info for the link (personal folder link) and then just reloads the website.
    If I click on any of the folders that are standard folders within Home Server, they work just fine. The new folder is displayed but if I try any of the other links to folders created by admin or other users, nothing happens except the website reloads.

If I use an old user, that I've had in the system for a while, to log on with everything works fine. All folders links works great! But not from a newly created user..

Any ideas?

I've tried creating several new users, all have the same issues.
    All the old users work without any issues. With old I mean more than 4-5 months old.
    Rebooting the server after creating a user doesn't help.

Grateful for any input!

Andreas

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:25 PM

Answers

• ok only 6 months since first post but I've been busy:)
    Anyways, so my problem was that when I created a new user from within the WHS console, the new user ended up not having any access to his/her own personal folder etc.
    However, in my own silliness I assumed that as long as I was adding the new user in the WHS console everything would work fine. This was not the case. In addition to using the WHS console, make sure you're not using the WHS console on the computer running WHS. That is, if you have a keyboard and monitor set up for your home server this would be an easy mistake to do. Just log on to the station, open up the WHS console and .... Not a good idea because not everything will work as it's supposed to. Seems kinda stupid to me but nm.
    Always make sure you're physically on a different computer than your WHS and then log on to the WHS console.
    That solved my problem!
    • Marked as answer by Andreas Sv Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:34 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• I have just checked this on my own system, and everything works as expected for me, create new user, allow remote access, then I have full access to new user share (upload, download and open files when remotely accessing my WHS), also no need to reboot.

Did you choose "allow access to shared folders and hom computers" when setting remote access for this user?

Probably the best thing to do for you is file a bug report on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site, instructions at the bottom of this page
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:36 AM
  • ok, so I set up a new user/users on my Windows Home Server (up to date on all updates) and I double check after the new user setup to make sure all the permissions are set correctly for shared folders.
    I then log on remotely to the home server using the new users credetials. Everything seems fine until I try accessing any of the personal folders eg. users private folder, any folders created by admin or folders beloning to other users, the browser requests the info for the link (personal folder link) and then just reloads the website.
    If I click on any of the folders that are standard folders within Home Server, they work just fine. The new folder is displayed but if I try any of the other links to folders created by admin or other users, nothing happens except the website reloads.

If I use an old user, that I've had in the system for a while, to log on with everything works fine. All folders links works great! But not from a newly created user..

Any ideas?

I've tried creating several new users, all have the same issues.
    All the old users work without any issues. With old I mean more than 4-5 months old.
    Rebooting the server after creating a user doesn't help.

Grateful for any input!

Andreas

What happens if you try to open the shares locally (instead of the Remote Access website) using that user account?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I setup several new users to rule out a random error and tried both the setting for just access to shared folders as well as shared folders and computers. Made no difference at all except the obvious but still no access to personal folders. This is what's throwing me off, I can access all the default folders, music, pictures software etc but none of the ones created manually. However, if I log on with an "old" profile it all works fine. So somewhere along the way the permissions that are set or the links that are created for the new users webpage has become corrupt. I went through all the permissions that are set for the different users and groups, and they all seem just fine. The permissions for the separate personal folders seem correct too. Compared them to older folders and they are all the same as long as the permissions are set the same within whs.
    Just can't figure out where things go wrong...

Guess I might have to make a bug report and hope that I get some type of response.

Thanks brubber for your effort and time! It's greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Sorry, didn't see your reply until after my post.
    I added the user as local user and tried accessing the users folders and I have no access at all. Tried the same with the default folders and it worked fine. I did however find a couple of other folders (not default folders) that were accessible with this user.
    Diggin deeper...

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Just to make sure, you did add the users from the Windows Home Server Console and NOT from the server desktop?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:29 AM
  • haha, yea no definitely added the new users through the server console, not the desktop itself. However, to make the new users part of local users I had to adjust their permissions through the desktop. They did not have local user access automatically.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:23 PM
  • haha, yea no definitely added the new users through the server console, not the desktop itself. However, to make the new users part of local users I had to adjust their permissions through the desktop. They did not have local user access automatically.

Can you right click on one of the folders you can't access, then select Properties followed by the Security tab, then look at the permissions for that folder and post the results here?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Can you right click on one of the folders you can't access, then select Properties followed by the Security tab, then look at the permissions for that folder and post the results here?
    Sure, so for a new user folder the permissions are as follows:
    Administrators: everything checked except special permissions which is greyed out.
    Creator owner: only special permissions is checked, however greyed out.
    RO_X: Read & Excecute, List folder contents and Read are checked.
    RW_X: Everything checked except special permissions.
    SYSTEM: Everything checked except special permissions.

For a public folder:
    Administrators: everything checked except special permissions which is greyed out.
    RO_9: Read & Excecute, List folder contents and Read are checked.
    RW_9: Everything checked except special permissions.

So as you can see, they're identical. Still, with an old user I can access them both but with a new user, only the public folder can be accessed.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:26 AM
  • Sure, so for a new user folder the permissions are as follows:
    RO_X: Read & Excecute, List folder contents and Read are checked.
    RW_X: Everything checked except special permissions.

For a public folder:
    RO_9: Read & Excecute, List folder contents and Read are checked.
    RW_9: Everything checked except special permissions.

So as you can see, they're identical. Still, with an old user I can access them both but with a new user, only the public folder can be accessed.

Is the Guest account on your server enabled?  If so, try disabling it and see what happens.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Is the Guest account on your server enabled?  If so, try disabling it and see what happens.
    No, the Guest account is disabled except the ones for IIS and Windows Media Services. I assume that it's sort of necessary to have the IIS account on or the welcome page won't display, correct?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:08 AM

What happens if you create a new user from the console only (so no adjustment of permissions from the server desktop)?

Waht exactly do you mean with "They did not have local user access automatically"?

There should be no need to modify user rights or group membership from the server desktop. Unless you really know what you're doing there's a fair chance you will mess things up.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 10:15 AM

What happens if you create a new user from the console only (so no adjustment of permissions from the server desktop)?

Waht exactly do you mean with "They did not have local user access automatically"?

There should be no need to modify user rights or group membership from the server desktop. Unless you really know what you're doing there's a fair chance you will mess things up.
    The users that I created to use the whs was created from the console without any adjustment from server desktop.

With "They did not have local...." I mean that, a user created from the server console can't automatically also be a local user of the desktop. So in order to make them local users for this reason; - "What happens if you try to open the shares locally (instead of the Remote Access website) using that user account?", I had to change their local user access. Thinking about it now, you probably meant accessing the shares through a server console on a lan pc? not the actual server desktop?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:46 PM
  • No, the Guest account is disabled except the ones for IIS and Windows Media Services. I assume that it's sort of necessary to have the IIS account on or the welcome page won't display, correct?
    Where did you see that?  You should only be looking at the Guest account in the Console.  You should not be logging into the server desktop for any reason (as it's unsupported and anything you change there can have adverse consequences on your server).

The users that I created to use the whs was created from the console without any adjustment from server desktop.

With "They did not have local...." I mean that, a user created from the server console can't automatically also be a local user of the desktop. 

Any user created from the WHS Console shouldn't be a local user of the server desktop anyway.

So in order to make them local users for this reason; - "What happens if you try to open the shares locally (instead of the Remote Access website) using that user account?", I had to change their local user access.

Please explain what you mean by "I had to change their local user access".  Be as specific as possible.

Thinking about it now, you probably meant accessing the shares through a server console on a lan pc? not the actual server desktop?

Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:09 AM
  • No, the Guest account is disabled except the ones for IIS and Windows Media Services. I assume that it's sort of necessary to have the IIS account on or the welcome page won't display, correct?
    Where did you see that?  You should only be looking at the Guest account in the Console.  You should not be logging into the server desktop for any reason (as it's unsupported and anything you change there can have adverse consequences on your server).

With "They did not have local...." I mean that, a user created from the server console can't automatically also be a local user of the desktop. 

Any user created from the WHS Console shouldn't be a local user of the server desktop anyway.

So in order to make them local users for this reason; - "What happens if you try to open the shares locally (instead of the Remote Access website) using that user account?", I had to change their local user access.

Please explain what you mean by "I had to change their local user access".  Be as specific as possible.

Thinking about it now, you probably meant accessing the shares through a server console on a lan pc? not the actual server desktop?

Well, without getting in to details, this is a side track, off topic so I don't want to spend more time explaining why or how I did this. The fact remains, when I create new users (not through the unsupported?! desktop) in the WHS console, regardless of how many permissions I give these new users, they can't access the personal folders. The work-around right now is to create a separate folder within a whs folder e.g. "videos" for users files.
    Old users, ie users more than several months old, have access to personal folders so it's only when setting up new users that this problem shows itself.

Thanks for any help!
    • Marked as answer by Andreas Sv Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andreas Sv Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:24 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:58 AM
  • ok only 6 months since first post but I've been busy:)
    Anyways, so my problem was that when I created a new user from within the WHS console, the new user ended up not having any access to his/her own personal folder etc.
    However, in my own silliness I assumed that as long as I was adding the new user in the WHS console everything would work fine. This was not the case. In addition to using the WHS console, make sure you're not using the WHS console on the computer running WHS. That is, if you have a keyboard and monitor set up for your home server this would be an easy mistake to do. Just log on to the station, open up the WHS console and .... Not a good idea because not everything will work as it's supposed to. Seems kinda stupid to me but nm.
    Always make sure you're physically on a different computer than your WHS and then log on to the WHS console.
    That solved my problem!
    • Marked as answer by Andreas Sv Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:34 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:34 PM