CRM 4 and Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• for CRM 4.0 on premise:  What is the best approach for creating reports which are actually letters mailed/emailed to the client?

The letters are very complex and required a lot of logic on fields from 2 or 3 entities to decide what to display and how to structure the letter. We currently have them created with Mail Merge templates, but limitation of 62 fields does not work for us, so we are switching to reports.

Is the Report Builder flexible, does it give formatting capabilities, does it handle complex statements? What ate the pros and cons for Report Builder versus a regular SSRS report in Visual Studio?

thank you for your input

Nicolette
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:57 PM

Answers

• Report Builder lets non-devlopers build the reports.  If that is important, then use it.  Otherwise, Visual Studio will be your most powerful and flexible solution.
    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Wayne is correct.  Mike Davis had this to say about it, 

"The BIDS environment is designed for developers and Report Builder is designed to look more like Office. It has the ribbon controls similar to Excel and Word. If you are creating simple reports that are just a quick drag and drop from a data set into a table, or an easy chart or graph, the report builder will do fine. If you want to have complete control of every aspect of the report the BIDS would be the way to go. VS 2010 cannot be used to create reports yet, you will be using 2005 or 2008 depending on your SQL server version.

Either way the report can be deployed to the report server and sharepoint."

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:09 PM

All replies

• Report Builder lets non-devlopers build the reports.  If that is important, then use it.  Otherwise, Visual Studio will be your most powerful and flexible solution.
    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Wayne is correct.  Mike Davis had this to say about it, 

"The BIDS environment is designed for developers and Report Builder is designed to look more like Office. It has the ribbon controls similar to Excel and Word. If you are creating simple reports that are just a quick drag and drop from a data set into a table, or an easy chart or graph, the report builder will do fine. If you want to have complete control of every aspect of the report the BIDS would be the way to go. VS 2010 cannot be used to create reports yet, you will be using 2005 or 2008 depending on your SQL server version.

Either way the report can be deployed to the report server and sharepoint."

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Thank you, Wayne. It is important that business users maintain those letters, but I am worried about its limitations.
    Nicolette
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Thank you Jamie. I understand the Report Builder does not handle properly complex situations which take in account state and type of records, diferent selections on picklists to create the desired layout. therefore is limiting in what you can accomplish with it.

thank you

Nicolette
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:46 PM
  • If either (or both) of these solution answer the question and/or helpful, it would be helpful if you could come back and mark them as such.

Thanks!

Jamie Miley
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:54 PM