Not sure what kind of license I have. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm the new system administrator for a business. The guy I replaced had a folder on our server containing the Office 2007 installation files, which he presumably used for setting up new computers that didn't have office. There is also a text file in that folder containing a product key.

The problem is that I'm not sure what kind of license we have for Office 2007. Is it a single retail license? Is it a volume license? How can I tell? The box it came in may be in the horrendously messy storage closet, but finding it may take a couple of weeks.

I don't want to install it on a new PC to the status of the license if I can help it. I'm concerned that if the product key has already been used to install office on another computer here, the original installation may stop working due to license problems. Any suggestions?

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric41,

Unfortunately we don't have a publicly available (automatic) way to check just a Product key. 

However, you can install Office, using that key, but just don't Activate it.  That will avoid any license problems with any existing Office installs, using that key.

Now, start the process to Activate by Phone (you are not going to Activate it, you just need to go thru the Activate by Phone wizard to the point it tells you the Phone Number for your local Activation Call Center).  Next, call the Activation Call Center.  In the automatic Phone Prompt, that answers, either select the option to talk to a Live Activation Rep or (if there is no option) Do Not enter anything into the phone prompt.  This should force the prompt to transfer you to a Live rep.

Once you get to the rep, explain your question and then read off the Product Key in question. The rep should be able to run a check on that key and provide you information about it.

Hope that helps,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 10, 2010 8:40 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:39 PM