Home server 2011 Setup Free/MS Domain fails RRS feed

• Question

• So my buddy changed his password for his windows live account which is actually an AOL email addy.  I started getting alerts his domain could not be updated. When I try to update the domain I get an error on the last page contacting provider and setting up.  Been trying off and on for 2 weeks.  If I use the wrong password it gives a password error.  Yesterday I tried to get a second free domain and it failed same place.  Today both domains are listed in the dropdown, but will not configure.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Grey

Setup Domain error

Grey

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Grey,

Before going further, sorry for the delayed response.

>>So my buddy changed his password for his windows live account which is actually an AOL email addy

Based on the description, please make sure that the Windows Live ID password contains only characters that the home server supports. The home server does not support use of the characters $, /, ', and %.

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Understanding Windows Live domain names

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/windows-live-dns-support-2.aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:51 AM
  • Thanks, just letters and numbers.  No punctuation/characters or spaces

Grey

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:54 AM