Backup service will not start Hardware problem? RRS feed

• Question

•  

WHS backed up my network once, then the backup service died.  This has happened three times.  The first time I did a repair reinstall, after that I did reinstalls.

I have only about the minimum system requirements, and I wonder if this could be the problem:  1 ghz cpu and 1/2 gig of ram.  I also have a new 250 gig IDE drive and a new 750 gig USB WD drive I bought just for WHS

After the successful backups, the console reported my USB drives were unhealthy.  I ran the WD detail utilities and it said the drive was fine.  I did a low level format and retried:  same result.  I doubt the problem is the drive.

However, I was still able to use remote access (although it was very slow) and printer sharing with sthe WHS, and share folders and other functions.  Furthermore, others apparently are having success with WHS and I would like to be one of those.  I am considering upgrading the remaining hardware, as that seems like the main negative thing about my system.

Do you think a server motherboard with 2 gig of ram would offer a huge improvement and backup service success?  Or what kind of hardware would offer near optimum performance?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:17 AM

Answers

• I don't think your hardware is necessarily the problem, although you can never rule it out. I am running WHS on very cheap hardware with (almost) minimal specs, 1.5 GHz CPU and 1GB RAM. Within WHS I also run a virtual PC with another WHS copy for testing purposes, effectively reducing available RAM for each system to 512 MB

I expect it has some problem with handling the USB drives, especially if you disconnect them without dismounting it first. On your WHS (connect using RDP or with monitor and keyboard) you'll find an icon in your system tray to remove the disk before physically disconnecting it. Another posisibility is that drives are automatically powered down after some time to conserve energy. You may need to disable this.

If you installed any WD drivers / utilities these may also cause problems. If you can connect / access the drives without installing WD drivers (so using only MS drivers) you can uninstall WD drivers.

There's a few other threads in this forum from other users having problems with USB drives, for example:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2473641&SiteID=50

or

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1306916&SiteID=50

or search to find some more

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:33 PM

All replies

• I don't think your hardware is necessarily the problem, although you can never rule it out. I am running WHS on very cheap hardware with (almost) minimal specs, 1.5 GHz CPU and 1GB RAM. Within WHS I also run a virtual PC with another WHS copy for testing purposes, effectively reducing available RAM for each system to 512 MB

I expect it has some problem with handling the USB drives, especially if you disconnect them without dismounting it first. On your WHS (connect using RDP or with monitor and keyboard) you'll find an icon in your system tray to remove the disk before physically disconnecting it. Another posisibility is that drives are automatically powered down after some time to conserve energy. You may need to disable this.

If you installed any WD drivers / utilities these may also cause problems. If you can connect / access the drives without installing WD drivers (so using only MS drivers) you can uninstall WD drivers.

There's a few other threads in this forum from other users having problems with USB drives, for example:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2473641&SiteID=50

or

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1306916&SiteID=50

or search to find some more

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Thank you, Brubber.

I disconnected my USB drive.  I was not able to remove it first from the console, as you suggested, because I got errors.  But I kept restarting both the server and console, and then removed the USB drive in the console, and eventually I got the console to say my network was healthy (that happy green glow).

But was it really healthy?  The backup service still would not start.  I went to Settings, and deleted my backups, even though they were all on the internal drive at this point.  (This was not a problem, as I had not relied on WHS for backups yet.)  Finally I was able to get the backup service to start.

If the backup service continues to work, then I will exchange the USB drive for an internal hard disk drive if I still have the box, and carry on.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:55 AM