2 Problems, Ready Boost & Movies RRS feed

• Question

• I have two serious problems with WHS backups:

1)      even though my Ready Boost memory stick on the work station is not selected for back up, WHS seems to find it, want to back it up and because it is not NTFS  the back up hangs and then shows up as failed. Why would I want to remember to pull the memory stick every night?

2)      The ONLY reason I purchased WHS, and then populate it with six  1TB is to archive my  movie collection and keep the back up current.  It seems WHS dismisses the movie archive as "stored TV shows" and does NOT back them up. I need to change this.

I'm PO, this stuff SHOULD work correctly right out of the box.

I need to fix these two issues or WHS is coming off.

Than you,

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:08 PM

Answers

• You shouldn't have to pull the memory stick every night. Just configure your backup to exclude it as Lara has suggested.

As for the movie collection, if it's stored in the "Recorded TV" folder that is used by windows Media Center, that is intentionally excluded form the backup at this time. The intent is that you would transfer the content that you want to preserve to your home server where it's available in the shares and via the streaming features of the server. So in this version of the product, the exclusion of "Recorded TV" is intentional/by design.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 5:40 PM

All replies

• Timothy J Wright said:

I have two serious problems with WHS backups:

1)      even though my Ready Boost memory stick on the work station is not selected for back up, WHS seems to find it, want to back it up and because it is not NTFS  the back up hangs and then shows up as failed. Why would I want to remember to pull the memory stick every night?

2)      The ONLY reason I purchased WHS, and then populate it with six  1TB is to archive my  movie collection and keep the back up current.  It seems WHS dismisses the movie archive as "stored TV shows" and does NOT back them up. I need to change this.

I'm PO, this stuff SHOULD work correctly right out of the box.

I need to fix these two issues or WHS is coming off.

Than you,

Have you reconfigured back up to exclude the memory stick? Also, what make/model memory stick is this? I've had both USB drives and USB sticks attached and not seen this issue.

What is the name of the directory where your movies are stored?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 5:34 PM
  • You shouldn't have to pull the memory stick every night. Just configure your backup to exclude it as Lara has suggested.

As for the movie collection, if it's stored in the "Recorded TV" folder that is used by windows Media Center, that is intentionally excluded form the backup at this time. The intent is that you would transfer the content that you want to preserve to your home server where it's available in the shares and via the streaming features of the server. So in this version of the product, the exclusion of "Recorded TV" is intentional/by design.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 5:40 PM