Great - Bought WHS for backup/restore and now it won't restore RRS feed

• Question

• WHS shows many successful backups but when I try to restore, it starts at ~40 minutes and then slips out to 2, 3, 4 or more hours and never completes.  I see these errors in the WHS EventLog:

Restore of DARLENE-PC C:\ by MININT-KM1QVFS has failed.

Any suggestions on how I might successfully restore this PC from WHS?

Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:34 PM

All replies

• I don't see anything obvious in that error that would explain it but I've also had several restore failures over the years. I came to the conclusion that I could not depend on WHS for disaster recovery so now I use Acronis to make images of critical workstations too. I hope the BU/Restore feature will be better in the next version of WHS.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:45 PM
  • WHS shows many successful backups but when I try to restore, it starts at ~40 minutes and then slips out to 2, 3, 4 or more hours and never completes.  I see these errors in the WHS EventLog:

Restore of DARLENE-PC C:\ by MININT-KM1QVFS has failed.

Any suggestions on how I might successfully restore this PC from WHS?
    What OS are you trying to restore?  Is it 32 or 64 bit?  Did you copy the drivers backed up from the server to a flash drive to use for the restore process?  Did you look at the WHS logs on the server (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs) for additional info?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:59 PM
  • I'm trying to restore Windows 7 32-bit.  I did copy the "Windows Home Server Restore" drivers dir from a backup file set off of WHS onto a USB flash drive (from another working PC).  That was required because the WHS restore did not recognize the NIC card on the PC requiring the restore.  I just looked in the logs dir but there are a bunch of different log files.  Anyone in particular that I should look at?  Thanks.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:10 PM
  • I just completed a restore of a Windows 7 Dell computer. I did download and install the network drivers for Vista (on a USB stick) and the total restore took approx. 20 minutes for a 250g hard drive. Initially it did recognize the network driver, but did not find the server. After using the Vista driver, it found the server and restored perfectly.

I have not had a failure to restore in since previous to the CTM version of WHS. Hope you have luck with your machine.

Cruise
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:20 PM
  • So did you bother restoring the 100 MB System Reserved partition as well as the C: drive? 

Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:28 PM
  • I'm trying to restore Windows 7 32-bit.  I did copy the "Windows Home Server Restore" drivers dir from a backup file set off of WHS onto a USB flash drive (from another working PC).  That was required because the WHS restore did not recognize the NIC card on the PC requiring the restore.  I just looked in the logs dir but there are a bunch of different log files.  Anyone in particular that I should look at?  Thanks.
    I would just sort the logs by day and look at the approximate day/time that the restore failed.  Also, if you have a RealTek NIC, you might need to get different drivers.  See the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore for details on how to do that.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:45 PM
  • It is a LinkSys EG1032 NIC.  After seeing a fair number of errors in the event viewer, I'm running chkdsk on the various drives right now - as suggested here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee

Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:01 PM
  • No, all I restored was the C drive/partition. There is also a restore partition on the Dell which I did not restore either. This was/is Windows 7 32 bit on a Dell Studio Hybrid. All partitions still appear on the drive, so I think all is well. The problems I was having with the computer before the restore was granddaughter related:)

Cruise
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:42 PM
  • The problems I was having with the computer before the restore was granddaughter related:)
    Heheh - I've got a four year old, know how that goes.  :-)  In my case, the old hard drive is bad so just wondering if I need to restore the System Reserved partition Win7 creates.  Read in a couple of places instructions on how to get rid of it so I assume it is not necessary to restore it.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Does your computer use any sort of RAID?  3 times now I have had to restore my PC (which is mirrored).  In each case, multiple restore attempts either failed or never completed.  Each time, I pulled the drives out of RAID and the restore completed in a couple of hours for 700+ GB.

Monday, March 1, 2010 4:12 PM