CRM 2011 How to create then modify a case via a workflow dialog RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to do the following:

Throw a dialog workflow

1. Solicit information for a new Case.
    2. Create that case.
    3. Update that case (in particular, priority and type).
    4. Assign that case.

So, I have done some work, built my workflow dialog, added a ribbon button, calling the workflow.

All is good with #1,2 above (a case is created). However, when my workflow executes #3 it fails because there is NO record to work with. The case creation does NOT leave me with a current case. I also have another dialog I want to chain that does some fancy reassignment - soliciting for information, making notes, activities etc. Because there is no case left around, that does not work either.

Martin Miller - Auckland, New Zealand

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:31 AM

Answers

• So, it seems if you try and do the following in a CASE workflow dialog run from a CASE list screen, the result is not what you expect: Create a case, update a case, assign a case.

Because CRM loses the newly created case and there is no selected case to update or assign.

However, if you call essentially the same dialog from a workflow dialog on another entity (eg account), it will work.

Basically, I shifted the case creation to an ACCOUNT workflow dialog, and then called my slightly modified but largely same as before, CASE workflow to do the update and assign.

When put on the CASE ribbon called from a button it works fine.

Very, very stupid!

Martin Miller - Auckland, New Zealand

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:31 AM