Home Server reinstallation after a crash RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS running for about a month now on some recycled Dell hardware (by adding two 1T SATA drives) and it has been working great.  This morning i returned to find it rebooting repeatedly afteer Blue Screen failures.  I tried a re-installation but he process failed part way through by explaining that the Storage cound not be configured because the path could not be found.  I didn't have enything or critical importance (just some PC backups and some replaceable photo's and videos) on the drives so I tried a New Installation.  The setup gets to about the same point and fails the same way.  Next, I deleted the HDD partitions and tried a new install from scratch.  Same failure as a result.  I began to supect a hardware failure (power supply, etc) so I moved the unformatted HDDs to other hardware...  again, the same installation failure.  I'm at a loss to figure out what changed and why.  For example, why wouldn't I be able to re-install fresh on the same hardware when it worked before?  Any ideas?   Add'l  Info:  The Blue Screens say:  DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.   Installation log indicates an error code close to the point where is lists that the path to Storage could not be found. code: 80030007.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:55 PM

Answers

• "Recycled" Dell hardware had the trend to blow up capacitors causing all kinds of instabilities (at least the Optiplex 270/280 series).
    So open the case and carefully check the board, if capacitors are not flat any more on their upper area. If so, your only choice usually is to replace the motherboard.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by karbok2 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:43 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:46 PM

All replies

• Have you considered the possibility of a failed disk drive? Or perhaps your installation media is damaged in some way?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 5:22 PM
  • I originally had 2 drives in the system and moved the second one (used for extended storage) to be the new boot drive...  Same result.  I downloaded Western Digital diagnostic tools and will be running them against both 1T drives later today.  I also considered the possibility of a failure in the power supply.  I have a replacement and will be trying that later also.  I never thought of bad installation media.  I'll burn another copy and try that step right after I run the HDD diags.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:42 PM
  • "Recycled" Dell hardware had the trend to blow up capacitors causing all kinds of instabilities (at least the Optiplex 270/280 series).
    So open the case and carefully check the board, if capacitors are not flat any more on their upper area. If so, your only choice usually is to replace the motherboard.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by karbok2 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:43 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:46 PM
  • replaced the power supply in the Dell and all is working fine.  (And as an extra precaution I replaced my drive cables with higher quality SATA cables from monoprice.com)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:44 AM