none
MapPoint 2011 .ptm file won't open in MapPoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Win 7 Ultra 64bit, Mappoint 2013.  I also have Office 2010 AND Office 2013 installed.

MapPoint 2013 seemed install correctly, Opens, creates .ptm files and reads them.

MapPoint 2013 won't open or "convert" files from previous version.  File last saved using MP 2011.

I have a file with some personal waypoints that I use as center points for the drawn circles of various sizes.  No other data, links or content.

I have many versions of this file created using different versions of MapPoint begining with the first one available.  I am unable to open any of the versions using MP 2013.

Tried the double click in File Manager, Tried the File/Open in MapPoint and get same error dialogue "This file was created with an older version of the map....." 

Followed by the Microsoft MapPoint error dialogue, "This application cannot open this file.  Consult Help for information about compatible formats."   All Help and my research shows that MP 2013 WILL open and convert files from previous versions.

The only possible solution I can judge at this time would be to uninstall MP 2013, reinstall MP 2011, test file and then reinstall MP 2013 again to make sure installation proceeded correctly???

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2Dee

DDuffy

• Moved by Quist Zhang Friday, February 22, 2013 2:58 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 6:15 AM

All replies

• That doesn't sound right, MP13 should open any file created with MP10 or MP11 at least. not sure about MP09, but it would certainly give you that error for files created with versions earlier than MP09.

I don't think you would need to uninstall MP13 in order to install MP11. You can have side by side installations. If you do that, make sure to re-save the file with MP11 after opening, this should allow it to be opened in MP13.

http://www.mapforums.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:08 PM
  • I agree that is what should happen.

I have this issue on a number of files that opened just fine in earlier versions, 2011, 2010, etc.

Sure once actually opened in 2013 I can save in new version and all is good.

Something is causing this maddening issue.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and thought that had fixed the issue and it did for quite a few files but not for others.  So some of the 2013 issue was possibly due to the installation or some internal setting changed by the system during normal usage. 

These are common MP files regularly if infrequently used.  Contains some waypoints, some drawn lines or circles, or territories in California.

Any suggestions about why MP 2013 won't open files would be appreciated.  It breaks between the first warning dialogue that talks about previous versions "...This file was created with an older version of the map....." and the next dialogue that says "...This application cannot open this file.  Consult Help for information about compatible formats..."  

If the files were opened or saved in MP 2007-2011 then the file should certainly be a "compatible" format??

2Dee

DDuffy

DDuffy

• Edited by 2Dee Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:27 PM
  • >> If the files were opened or saved in MP 2007-2011 then the file should certainly be a "compatible" format?? <<

If it was saved by MapPoint 2006 or MapPoint 2009, I don't think MapPoint 2013 is going to be able to open it.

It would have to be saved by MapPoint 2010 or 2011 in order for MapPoint 2013 to open the file.

If you're sure that the file was last opened and save with MapPoint 2010 or MapPoint 2011 and MapPoint 2013 is still unable to open it, then I don't know. I'd have to play with the file I guess to see what's going on. Contact me via http://www.MapForums.com and I can help further.

Eric

http://www.mapforums.com

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:37 PM