how to access 3 home servers from the internet that are at your home? RRS feed

• Question

• hi i have 3 home server computers each does a different thing

but when i have my dyndns setup in my router and i try to log onto all 3 computers from a remote location it never works if i set it i router that anyone accessing 3389 will work

as i was trying to do ex  comp1.mydoman.com   comp2.mydomain.com  comp3.mydoman.com  i try doing that  but doesnt work do you need to set them up as a domain  or can u run under as a workgroup?  my rest of the network is just a workgroup didnt wanna set up  doman with user accounts for all the computers  just be able to access all 3 servers from remote location without having to change the port on each server (and tried it  but didnt work either)

any ideas  this is for windows home server 2003

Saturday, March 3, 2012 11:51 AM

All replies

• and what i dont wanna do anymore that makes it sometimes hard is

i remote desktop to one computer from internet and then when i logged on then i log onto the other comps locally with remote desktop  wanna be able to seperate that

Saturday, March 3, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Generally, routers only let you redirect a port (such as 3389) to a single internal computer. What you're looking for is a reverse proxy server, which would examine incoming requests and route them appropriately. Microsoft's offering in that space is part of their Forefront product line, or there are free alternatives that run on various flavors of linux. All of these products are beyond the scope of this forum, however.

Your workaround, changing the port that remote desktop is listening on, should work, but it's not obvious how to do so and (of course) it's not supported. Try searching Google, Bing, or your search engine of choice for obvious keywords like "change remote desktop port".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Hi

What I do, is use the port forwarding from my router to differentiate between multiple computers within my network.

When I connect to my public IP address with standard RDP (3389) traffic is forwarded to PC1 port 3389

When I connect to my public IP address with RDP set to port 3390 traffic is redirected to PC2 port 3389

Name                                In Port         Out port                  Target IP address

port fwd

When you connect to PC 2 you add :3390 behind your machine name.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:21 PM