Windows Home Server Console connection port needs changing... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have recently altered the port that my home server listens on for rdp to something other than the default 3389. Obviously, the home server console connects using this port. I need to change the port that the console connects with and cannot find it anywhere. I need to have a none default port so that I can rdp into multiple machines without having to alter port forwarding entries in my router.

Any help appreciated...

Regards,

Michael.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:01 PM

Answers

• I had the same issue but gave in and left the RDP port on the server set to 3389. I think it's hard-coded and unchangeable, but perhaps someone else knows how to work around this.

If your router has the ability to do port mapping then you won't have to alter port forwarding every time you want to RDP to a different machine. D-Link calls this feature "Virtual Server", and it allows incoming packets on port X to be directed to port Y on machine Z.

If you have this capability in your router's firmware then set it up so that incoming packets on port X go to port 3389 on the server, packets on port (X+1) go to port 3389 on machine 2, etc.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:52 PM

All replies

• I had the same issue but gave in and left the RDP port on the server set to 3389. I think it's hard-coded and unchangeable, but perhaps someone else knows how to work around this.

If your router has the ability to do port mapping then you won't have to alter port forwarding every time you want to RDP to a different machine. D-Link calls this feature "Virtual Server", and it allows incoming packets on port X to be directed to port Y on machine Z.

If you have this capability in your router's firmware then set it up so that incoming packets on port X go to port 3389 on the server, packets on port (X+1) go to port 3389 on machine 2, etc.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Hi Mark.... I can't believe I didn't already think of that. What a goose! Works perfectly mate, thanks for that.

Michael.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 1:44 PM