Windows Home Server won't install RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into the following error number:  0x80042405.  Unable to mount CD-ROM.  This is AFTER the text based Win 2k3 setup.  I have the machine currently logged in as Administrator and the Home Server installer won't continue because of that error.

As a note, The CD-ROM is accessible via Windows Explorer, so is the hard disk, and note that both worked during the earlier stages of the installation, so I don't think it is a matter of RAID controllers or anything like that.  The OS can in fact access both the hard disk and the CD unit.  So, what can be done to correct this error?  What information do I need to provide?

Thank you all in advance for your kind replies and effort.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:42 AM

Answers

• - Perhaps trivial, but did you leave the install DVD in place? It should be there until the install has completely finished.

- Simplest thing would be to try would be another DVD drive. This has solved similar problems in a number of cases.

- If you are logged in as Administrator, I guess it has finished the W2K3 part of the install. If yes then you could also try:

1. On the install DVD browse to X:\WHS

2. Excecute all files starting with "um"

3. Browse to X:\redistr

4. Execute all executables except dotnetchk.exe

5. Reboot

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:04 AM

All replies

• - Perhaps trivial, but did you leave the install DVD in place? It should be there until the install has completely finished.

- Simplest thing would be to try would be another DVD drive. This has solved similar problems in a number of cases.

- If you are logged in as Administrator, I guess it has finished the W2K3 part of the install. If yes then you could also try:

1. On the install DVD browse to X:\WHS

2. Excecute all files starting with "um"

3. Browse to X:\redistr

4. Execute all executables except dotnetchk.exe

5. Reboot

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the delay.

Although your suggestions are indeed useful, the problem got resolved in a different way.

I was installing this OS in a virtual PC using VirtualBox.  To go past the first couple of restarts, I had to enable ATAPI instructions in the CD drive unit, but this also became a problem in the later steps, the step where I was stuck at.  I turned off the virtual machine and reconfigured the CD unit and it went through ok.

If the problem would have persisted, I'm sure that your suggestions would have done the trick because I was able to navigate the CD just fine using Windows Explorer.

Thank you very much.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:48 PM