Shared folder access to subfolders RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to setup WHS 2011 for sharing permissions on a subfolder level? In WHS v1 it would create a "Users" folder with each users folder underneath it. I liked this because each user wouldn't have a folder at the main level. I use robocopy to backup my WHS 2011 to my WHS v1 server, and any time I create a new user I have to remember to update the robocopy script to include the new folder. Not a huge deal, but just more maintenance. I don't want each user to have full read/write the "Users" folder for obvious reasons, just their specific folder under the "Users" folder.

More I use WHS 2011 the more I realized how nice v1 is/was. Since WHS v1 support will dwindle I may have to eventually just run that machine as a WHS 2011 server as well for backup, and not liking that prospect, because for now I can just throw spare drives in WHS v1 for my backup server and let DE do its thing.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 10:34 PM

All replies

• No, not in any supported way - you will have to create folders for individual users at the top level rather than in a "Users" folder - not really a problem other than for cosmetic reasons and having to remember what you need to do with RoboCopy.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Why mess around backing up a server to a server using a non-integrated copying tool.

Just get some of those cheap external USB RAID boxes $25-$30 each that take 3 or 4 drives and set the drives as JBOD (just a buch of disks) (windows backup wont talk to drives larger than 2TB) and plug the external boxes into USB and use the integrated WHS2011 backup to create multiple backups of different areas of your WHS2011 to differing external back up drives.

Restore what you want from when you want, files, shares or even your entire WHS2011 OS to any point over the last 6 months.
    Just like the client PC backups it keeps daily for 1 week and weekly for 1 month and monthly for 6 months and manages these and space automatically.

This overcomes the 2TB NTFS limit wthout the huge well known risk of WHSv1 drive pool errors. (NTFS limits is why MS dropped DE).

You wont need DE or third party drive pooling software soon. The next iteration of Windows Desktop and server OS's will contain a new FS to replace the aged NTFS and this will overcome the 2TB limit so that RAID will once again rule and you can then have drives and RAID arrays as large as your wallet. EG tens of thousands of terabytes. It is just like 32bit Vs 64bit RAM addressing limits.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:17 PM
  • NTFS does not have a 2TB limit, it's the use of .vhd files which imposes this.

You can not do what you are saying using the tools built into the Dashboard, which is the only supported way of administering your Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Hi Mark,

like you I think this feature was great in v1 and is really missing in WHS 2011. I worked around the limitation by creating the Users folder manually (read for anyone, write for Admins) and within that one folder per user (read and write for Admins and the specific users only). I maintained subfolder authorizations with Windows Explorer (Properties/Security). Works fine in Windows Explorer, but Remote Access only reflects the authorization of the Users folder (or share).

Phil,

I disagree that this is purely cosmetic. Creating a toplevel share per user or group (I created similar folders for family, all users, etc.) adds a lot of visual clutter, in particular as Authorization Based Enumeration works only for subfolders (within shares, not shares themselves), and I think there are good reasons why one can set authorizations on any folder in Windows rather than being restricted to certain levels. And like Mark I also have backup scripts that need to be modified, and special case the Users folder as this is where hot data resides.

I really would like to see the remote access issue to be fixed, and also administration support for user specific folders like in v1.

Thanks & Best regards, Joachim

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Phil,

I disagree that this is purely cosmetic. Creating a toplevel share per user or group (I created similar folders for family, all users, etc.) adds a lot of visual clutter,

If "adding a lot of visual clutter" is not cosmetic, I don't know what is! As it happens, I agree with you as I too prefered the old system that came with WHS1.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Phil,

I disagree that this is purely cosmetic. Creating a toplevel share per user or group (I created similar folders for family, all users, etc.) adds a lot of visual clutter,

If "adding a lot of visual clutter" is not cosmetic, I don't know what is! As it happens, I agree with you as I too prefered the old system that came with WHS1.

the visual clutter is also a privacy and performance concern. Privacy because it discloses to all users what other users exist - something I would like to keep private - and a performance concern as all shares are enumerated and shown, which can cause a noticable delay over slow links (and maybe more for VPN than remote access).

And if you agree, maybe there is a way to reintroduce it into the product?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:28 PM
  • The only way to get Microsoft to consider this is to make the suggestion on Microsoft Connect. Actually, I have just checked and it has already been suggested and rejected by Microsoft as being "By design". See here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/556234/auto-creation-user-folder-upon-user-creation#details

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:44 PM
  • The only way to get Microsoft to consider this is to make the suggestion on Microsoft Connect. Actually, I have just checked and it has already been suggested and rejected by Microsoft as being "By design". See here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/556234/auto-creation-user-folder-upon-user-creation#details

Thanks for the link. To be precise: it was reported as a bug, not a suggestion. Imho there is no difference, as if a problem - as perceived by the end user - is caused by design, then the design is buggy, but will it help to recreate it as a suggestion? Ideally changing the issue type from bug to suggestion (by processor) should be the only step needed.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:56 PM
  • You can try, but don't hold your breath!

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Thanks for the link. To be precise: it was reported as a bug, not a suggestion. Imho there is no difference, as if a problem - as perceived by the end user - is caused by design, then the design is buggy, but will it help to recreate it as a suggestion? Ideally changing the issue type from bug to suggestion (by processor) should be the only step needed.

Microsoft has turned off the ability to make 'Suggestions' in the WHS 2011 forum on Connect. You can now only report Bugs. As a side-effect of Microsoft turning this switch off, all the dozens of previously-submitted Suggestions have also been wiped from existence on the forum...
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 9:37 AM