Install W2k3 R2 64/SQL2005 x86 SP2/CRM 4 Workgroups on 64 bit server * HELP * RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to install MS CRM 4 for Workgroups on the following

• HP Proliant GL150 (64 bit) server
    • Windows 2003 Server R2 - x64 bit (Standard)
    • SQL Server 2005 Standard edition (SP2)

Has anyone managed to get this or a similar combination working?

I've installed IIS from the Win2K3 R2 x64 CD ASP.NET Frameworks 2.0 for 32 and 64 bit and enabled both in IIS. SQL Report Services is running ok - but when I try to install CRM 4 for Workgroups, it gets so far along an then fails with:

Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.EnableAspNetOnWebSiteAction failed.
    The ASP.NET IIS registration utility failed with the exit code 1 and message: The error indicates that IIS is in 32 bit mode, while this application is a 64 bit application and thus not compatible. .

(Retry)                     (Cancel)

I've tried to prohibit ASP.NET V2.0xxx (32 bit) in IIS but this didn't work. Last time I pressed Cancel, CRM failed to remove itself and we had to format and rebuild the server.

I've read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435 and this seems to point towards disabling the 32bit mode - but If I do this, Report Services in SQL will stop (I think).

So is the problem that SQL Report Srvcs needs 32bit ASP.NET and CRM 4 needs 64 bit? Both at the same time - which the article suggests cannot be done!

Any help would be appreciated. 

Monday, December 22, 2008 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is quite old, but I found myself on the same situation and this post didn't have an answer does anyone knows after one year what can be done on this situation ?

On my case:

Win 2008 64bits
    SQL 2005 workgroup 32bits ( running reporting services with IIS on 32bits )

Now CRM 4 64bits won't install

EDIT* found the answer for this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979189.aspx in case someone finds itself on the same situation.

Thanks in advance
    • Proposed as answer by nrodri Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:14 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:33 PM

All replies

• You definately need IIS in 64 bit mode as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996091.aspx  which appears to be what you've done. In my 'perfect storm' upgrade I had a similar environment. Google for "Perfect storm of a CRM upgrade" for details.

Good luck. Its a world of pain. A dire word of warning. DO NOT try to install CRM 32 bit onto the 64 bit server. It will not uninstall properly when it fails and leaves behind an unholy mess to clean up.

Leon Tribe
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanx for that, I found your post.

Did you use SQL 2005 for 32 bit processors? As that is what I have to work with - and where I think the problem lies - because SQL 2005 (32) needs ASP.NET 2.0 (32 bit) for report services, but CRM needs ASP.NET 2.0 x64 because its installed on Win 2K3 R2 64 bit OS.

or did you work a way around this somehow?

My fall back plan is to put Win 2K3 (32 bit ver) on with SQL 2005 sp2 and install CRM 4 over that - is that what you are warning against? Gulp ....

Monday, December 22, 2008 11:52 PM
  •  

I checked in the CRM 4 planning guide and under the '64 bit supported configurations' I read the following and came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work.

Both the SQL Server Reporting Services version and the MS D CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services version must be of the same processor architecture version as the Windows Server operating system.

This points a suspicious finger towards saying - It won't work mate. Well not with my following configuration:

• 64 bit Windows 2003 R2 OS
    • 32 bit SQL Server 2005 SP2
    • CRM 4 (for workgroups) which runs/installs in 64 bit mode on a 64 bit server. 

Would anyone disagree with this? As a post update, Leon mentioned (outside the post) that he thinks he used 64 SQL and that perhaps we should upgrade to that.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:17 PM

• Hi,

This is quite old, but I found myself on the same situation and this post didn't have an answer does anyone knows after one year what can be done on this situation ?

On my case:

Win 2008 64bits
    SQL 2005 workgroup 32bits ( running reporting services with IIS on 32bits )

Now CRM 4 64bits won't install

EDIT* found the answer for this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979189.aspx in case someone finds itself on the same situation.

Thanks in advance
    • Proposed as answer by nrodri Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:14 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:33 PM
  • What did Microsoft Support say?
    CRM Community Guru and Saxophonist
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:13 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:47 PM

• that's not fair marking yourself as answer, when I came to a post one year old and posted the answer that you haven't even read the link I left.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Well, to be fair to Jim, your original response was an inquiry about the status of the problem.  Only afterward did you edit your response to include the "answer", and only at the bottom of the original inquiry.  It would have been infinitely more clear that you intended to provide an answer by making a wholly separate post within this thread containing the link you identified.
    Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:51 PM