Cannot open Dashoard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have a problem with the Dashoard. When trying to start the program from the client computer I get an error message:

Windows cannot start the RemoteApp program. The following RemoteApp program is not in the list of authorized programs: Dashboard. For assistance, contact your system administrator.

The program is added to the list of remoteapp programs in remoteapp manager in Windows Home Server 2011, so I don't know what can't I open it.

• Edited by klemyyy123 Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:55 PM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:48 PM

Answers

• It's likely the remote desktop features you've installed are the cause of your issue (I'll also note in passing that doing so is probably a violation of the EULA, as well as being unsupported). I'd recommend you take a look at the documentation for configuring remote apps to see if you can undo any damage you might have done.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by klemyyy123 Sunday, July 15, 2012 11:16 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:32 PM

All replies

• Try remote desktop to your Server and see if you can open it there to see if it is a Server or Client issue.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:13 PM
  • I am able to open it on my Server. I guess then it's a client issue. Any ideas how to fix it?

• Edited by klemyyy123 Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:31 PM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Try temporarily disabling your Client AV Software & Firewall. If that works try working from there to identify what's causing the problem. Is this a new problem? Have you made any recent changes that might have caused the problem?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:43 PM
  • I disabled my Firewall and the Antivirus. No luck. Then I tried reinstalling the Connector software. Again, no luck. I have this problem quite some time now. Since april I guess. I installed some remote desktop service features on my server in april. But I'm not sure if that is the culprit.

• Edited by klemyyy123 Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:14 PM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:13 PM
  • It's likely the remote desktop features you've installed are the cause of your issue (I'll also note in passing that doing so is probably a violation of the EULA, as well as being unsupported). I'd recommend you take a look at the documentation for configuring remote apps to see if you can undo any damage you might have done.

• Marked as answer by klemyyy123 Sunday, July 15, 2012 11:16 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Ok, thank for the reply. I didn't know I was violating the EULA so I uninstalled the features and it magically fixed the problem.
    • Edited by klemyyy123 Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:58 PM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:56 PM
  • It's unlikely that Microsoft would hunt you down for it. :)

However, any time you change the configuration of Windows Home Server using tools other than the Dashboard, you run a risk of causing problems with built-in server functionality. If you make changes in an area you're really completely unfamiliar with, you may be letting yourself in for a bit of an "education". :)

Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:45 PM
  • klemyyy123:

Do you recall what features and/or rolls you installed and then uninstalled to first break and then fix this?  I did the same thing, I think, by installing the Remote Desktop Role.  Uninstalling it did not resolve the issue.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 4:12 PM
  • I believe I have found the main culprit for the problem.

The RemoteApp Manager settings seem to affect the Dashboard:

• Under RD Gateway settings I changed from Use these RD Gateway server settings to Automatically detect RD Gateway server settings and 
    • under RD Session Host Server Settings I changed from Do not allow users to start unlisted programs to Allow users to start both listed and unlisted programs on initial connection.

The Dashboard works fine now.

• Edited by klemyyy123 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:25 PM