vista ultimate wont activate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! My son recently bought me Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate for my new computer and installed it for me. Now windows has asked me to activate, so I key in the key that came with the disc. And now it says 'type a different product key for activation' and wants me no buy a new one. I assumed that once you spend such a stupid amount on a disc, you wouldn't need to buy additional things to make it work! I don't understand all of this stuff and my son can't help me because he's moved to Australia, so clear instructions would be very helpful.

Thanks, Kaine
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Kaine,

Please click on the Start button, then right-click on Computer and choose Properties.

The System Properties window will pop up. 

Scroll to the bottom and click the blue link in the last section titled Windows activation.  (It'll either be "Activate windows..." or "Change product key".)

After you type in your product key, be sure to press Enter or click "Next".  If you've got the option to click "Activate Windows online now" do NOT click that.

Let me know if you still have trouble after trying this.

Thank you!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:42 AM
  • It'd be very helpful for me to know what kind of system you're running.  It's bothersome that these links don't work for some people and it will make it easier for me to help others in your predicament later.  If you could let me know your version (Business, Home, etc.) and channel (retail, volume-KMS or MAK?, etc.) I'd really appreciate it.  You can also just post the diag info from the WGA dial tool(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) that'll give me all of the info I need.

What I suggest you do is open an elevated command prompt (search for Command Prompt in the start menu, right-click it and choose "Run as administrator"). 

Then type:

slgmr -ipk <your product key>

press Enter

and type:

slmgr -ato

and press Enter.

Please let me know if that does or does not work.  Thanks!

Thursday, March 1, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Hi Sermad,

Ultimate is one version of Vista and it looks like you installed that version (you can install any version off of the CD).  But your key looks like it's for a different version of Vista (e.g. Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, etc).  Would you look at whatever source you got Vista from to see which version of Vista you have?  Are you by any chance an MSDNAA subscriber? 

Thanks!

Friday, March 23, 2007 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Kaine,

Please click on the Start button, then right-click on Computer and choose Properties.

The System Properties window will pop up. 

Scroll to the bottom and click the blue link in the last section titled Windows activation.  (It'll either be "Activate windows..." or "Change product key".)

After you type in your product key, be sure to press Enter or click "Next".  If you've got the option to click "Activate Windows online now" do NOT click that.

Let me know if you still have trouble after trying this.

Thank you!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:42 AM
  • May I add some more work for you here?
    Basically, I'm at the links you mention but nothing happens when I click either.
    I take it I should change my product key first then attempt activation ?

Regards
    Frank
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 8:04 AM
  • It'd be very helpful for me to know what kind of system you're running.  It's bothersome that these links don't work for some people and it will make it easier for me to help others in your predicament later.  If you could let me know your version (Business, Home, etc.) and channel (retail, volume-KMS or MAK?, etc.) I'd really appreciate it.  You can also just post the diag info from the WGA dial tool(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) that'll give me all of the info I need.

What I suggest you do is open an elevated command prompt (search for Command Prompt in the start menu, right-click it and choose "Run as administrator"). 

Then type:

slgmr -ipk <your product key>

press Enter

and type:

slmgr -ato

and press Enter.

Please let me know if that does or does not work.  Thanks!

Thursday, March 1, 2007 11:23 PM
  • As per your request please find here a copy of the report:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Detailed Status: 0x1

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-697PV-DHVRV-Y6TPD

Windows Product Key Hash: dQDgbgM6KE9YVzYHDxJwY60SdPw=

Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7300515-44764

Windows Product ID Type: 3

Windows License Type: OEM System Builder

Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001

ID: 2c58ef74-1e6c-440a-a41c-da881ebd0f5b

Is Admin: No

AutoDial: No

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

Architecture: 0x00000000

Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205

TTS Error:

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 0

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.5.540.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_025D1FF3-138-80041013_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154_025D1FF3-273-80070002_E2AD56EA-344-8009_E2AD56EA-345-2ee7_16E0B333-57-80004005_B4D0AA8B-910-80004005

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>2c58ef74-1e6c-440a-a41c-da881ebd0f5b</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-Y6TPD</PKey><PID>89580-OEM-7300515-44764</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1256525981-1838442234-3722025204</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUSTeK Computer Inc. </Manufacturer><Model>A6Km </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>210 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060508000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E0983A07018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>1409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>New Zealand Standard Time(GMT+12:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>ASUSTeK Computer Inc.</name><model>A6Km</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{903B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>A60FB4EC460CD00</Val><Hash>4uF4GDR55u4ZmzhQ8QT5wQjGqgo=</Hash><Pid>72077-640-3066974-55440</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

....................................................................................................

Does this mean that my codes are OK and that I have no need to change anything?

Will post the results of the commands you offered once I figure out how to actually sign in as admin because of a recurring problem I'm having at present that I thought was only third party related. Basically, explorer keeps crashing on certain things and though it restarts OK I cannot get past these strange happenings. Here, in this case, when I right click on the command icon within programs, explorer crashes.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 7:01 AM
  • I'm having the same exact problem. Here's the play-by-play.

I open the computer and there is a black screen with a some box. Here are the options: (There is no start button anywhere. the whole screen is black and it has a box)

Option 1: Activate windows online now

Option 2:Access your computer with reduced funcionality

Option 3:Retype your product key      (I went to that. It says to type my product key. I typed it and it won't accept it. It says it will need the, "Ultimate product key". I have no idea where that is. I looked everywhere. From the computer, on the box, under the computer, on the computer, manual guide, etc.
    Nowhere does it say "Ultimate product key)

Option 4: Show me other ways to activate (And that is to buy the whole windows for $399.99.)

Friday, March 23, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Hi Sermad,

Ultimate is one version of Vista and it looks like you installed that version (you can install any version off of the CD).  But your key looks like it's for a different version of Vista (e.g. Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, etc).  Would you look at whatever source you got Vista from to see which version of Vista you have?  Are you by any chance an MSDNAA subscriber? 

Thanks!

Friday, March 23, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Hi,

I have Vista Ultimate Edition. When I go to the computer properties page there are two options that get me confused namely:

12(days) to activate. Activate Windows now.

Product ID: xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx Change Product Key

These two links are enabled. Which one do I click to activate windows? Do I really have to activate windows even if I already have a product key?

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:46 AM
  • Make sure you're happy with all your core hardware and that you are online ~ then get it done ~ microsoft licence requirement I'm afraid.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:30 AM
  • Hi,Irvinhoe

I have a home prem edition. Even i came across da same problemo

12(days) to activate. Activate Windows now.

But Initially its like dis:

Windows is active.

May i know what hv u done to get through it :-> 

Monday, November 3, 2008 8:59 PM