Some files (MIME type) opened within in PIE RRS feed

• General discussion

• If I try to download a .pdas file (which is a XML file with extension .pdas ) the XML content will be displayed within PIE instead of opening a FileOpen dialog for downloading. This is often (always) not useful. Since the .pdas file extension is associated with an application (PDAStore) it should be opend with that application and not PIE.

Maybe that could be improved in the near future?
    Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.
    • Changed type hfrmobile Monday, June 22, 2009 10:12 AM Not a question, more a suggestion for improving m.mesh.com
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:11 AM

All replies

• File extensions and default handlers are not handled by Live Mesh. The default handlers for file extensions are a function of the mobile OS.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:21 PM
  • File extensions and default handlers are not handled by Live Mesh. The default handlers for file extensions are a function of the mobile OS.
    -steve

Yes but the .pdas file shouldn't be opened within PIE. A FileSaveAs dialog should appear (like for other file types). So give users the chance to download files and not automatically open them in PIE.

Monday, June 22, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Once again, that is not a function of Live Mesh. That is a function of the OS on the device.
    I have no experience with this program, but it purports to make it easy for you to change file assocaitions, normally handled by installing apps or through installed apps or via the registry on the device - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Configure-Your-Windows-Mobile-Device-Settings-104244.shtml

-steve
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Once again, that is not a function of Live Mesh. That is a function of the OS on the device.
    I have no experience with this program, but it purports to make it easy for you to change file assocaitions, normally handled by installing apps or through installed apps or via the registry on the device - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Configure-Your-Windows-Mobile-Device-Settings-104244.shtml

-steve
    You're wrong again or maybe you haven't understood my question. I'd like that on .xml files, .txt files etc. the File download dialog appears and not that PIE displays them "embedeed". That has nothing to do with my "local OS"!

Just google for "content disposition ".

I have found a document for you which describes it: http://apptools.com/phptools/force-download.php

OK, it is PHP but "content dispotion" is also possible for ASP.NET of course (asuming m.mesh.com is developed using ASP.NET).

--hfrmobile

• Edited by hfrmobile Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:21 PM fixed typing error
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Sorry for my bad words but I was wondering that my question/feedback was so difficult to understand ;-)
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:02 PM
  • I understand the question/issue. No need to apologize.
    I may be wrong, but as far as I know, when you click a link on a web page, the download vs. display action is controlled by the local OS. That's the way it works on a PC using a web browser. It isn't controlled by the site. So, if you have a file in a folder on Live Mesh and you access it on your PC or on your mobile device, when you click that file, the handling of the file is not controlled by Live Mesh - again, as far as I know.

-steve
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:15 PM
  • I understand the question/issue. No need to apologize.
    I may be wrong, but as far as I know, when you click a link on a web page, the download vs. display action is controlled by the local OS. That's the way it works on a PC using a web browser. It isn't controlled by the site. So, if you have a file in a folder on Live Mesh and you access it on your PC or on your mobile device, when you click that file, the handling of the file is not controlled by Live Mesh - again, as far as I know.

-steve

I am afraid you're wrong again ;-) The way the content is sent to the client is controlled by the web site. Content dispostion defines (afaik) the way how the content is send to the client (binary, text, mimetype) correct me if I am wrong.

I asume the question is (or even bug report?) when you click the Download button in Live Mesh Mobile the the DownloadFileDialog should appear instead of opening the content in PIE, right?

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:18 PM
  • If I am wrong, I'll admit it. :-) I don't know that I am yet, based on my experiences. In your example of content disposition, the data is binary - we're not talking about streaming data or a web page.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:05 PM
  • The m.mesh.com team just has to "change the content disposition" that way that if users using the Download button, a download happens (the FileDownload dialog appears) rahter opening files within PIE (e.g. .txt). Just forward this thread to the development tream, they wil know what to do ;-)

thx, hfr

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:34 PM
  • The m.mesh.com team just has to "change the content disposition" that way that if users using the Download button, a download happens (the FileDownload dialog appears) rahter opening files within PIE (e.g. .txt). Just forward this thread to the development tream, they wil know what to do ;-)

thx, hfr

Here is the best way to get your request to the development team:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Here is the best way to get your request to the development team:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Thanks, done!

I found that m.mesh.com isn't the only way to use Mesh on mobile devices? Thers seems to be a new application which can be installed onto the device. I'll give it a try! May that is a reason for the misunderstanding? I only use m.mesh.com with PIE !

-hfr

Monday, June 29, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Not so much new, but there is a mobile client available for Windows Mobile devices that allows your phone to be part of your mesh for synschronizing data on your device with your Mesh.
    -steve
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:43 PM