Suggestion: Sort folders in 'Exclude' list for backups RRS feed

• Question

• It would be helpful if the list of folders in the 'Exclude' folder list was sorted, to help configuring backups.

Also - there should be a way to list exactly what has been excluded (for example, temporary files are automatically excluded - including if the user has created a \TEMP folder.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:21 PM

All replies

• Evening,

I'm not quite sure what you are requesting, could you elucidate a little?

If you go through the configure backup, doesn't the folder tree there give you the information?

Colin

Sunday, June 17, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Colin, the OP is looking for two things. First, in the backup configuration wizard he wants the list of excluded folders sorted. Second, he wants more detail there. For example, I think he'd probably like to know that if you have MCE and a tuner, that recorded TV shows are considered user temp files.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 7:38 PM
    1. In 'Configure Backup', the list of folders in the 'Exclude' window isn't sorted.  If there are a lot of top level folders, it becomes more difficult to navigate through the list.  Even though users should probably look at each folder in the list, it is just easier if the folders are sorted in alphabetical order.
    2. Particularly for the automatically added exclude categories - it's not obvious what is being excluded.  For example, one of the automatic items in the excluded list is for temporary files.  My system has a top-level folder called 'Temp' - and evidently this is included in the automatic excluded list - since it doesn't show up in the list in the 'Exclude' window.

Selecting what is being excluded is a critical step.  Users need help to make sure the folders they want to have backed up - will actually be backed up.

Roxio's Backup MyPC provides a lot of information - inherited from earlier versions of Backup Exec software.  The 'Backup' window shows exactly which folders and files will and will not be backed up.

With WHS - which is probably going to cost much more than Backup MyPC - there is very little information available to confirm exactly which files will and will not be backed up.

A few improvements to the 'Configure Backup' & 'Exclude' windows would be a step in the right direction.  Providing a full view of the system to be backed up - and being able to drill down into the specific folders and files would be even better (perhaps a Service Pack or Version 2 improvement).

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:51 AM
  • BobP,

Thanks and yes, I think for the market segment this system is being sold in would benefit from a more visual indication.

Part of the problem is derived from the VERY small box that all this information is displayed in. This could also benefit from a 'Print' function, as the few consumers that I've been to that actually use XP or Vista backups, have problems remembering what is and what isn't backed up.

Colin

Monday, June 18, 2007 4:39 PM
  • I think you've hit on it...  This has to be simple and obvious.

But I'm not sure about the 'print' function - since the details could be pretty lengthy.

Seems like an interactive browser may be a better choice for drill down on the details.

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:25 PM