none
SyncToy useless for Photo workflow, won't delete left files on Echo RRS feed

• Question

• (Correction of earlier post, I got directions confused.)
    SyncToy 2.0 appears not to delete files on the right with sync option set to 'Echo'.  I'm using it on an external hard drive as the destination.  On my older computer with older Synctoy versions I had no problem deleting on the right with Echo.  I've checked and re-checked, and files are added and overwritten, but deletions from left to right are not.
    Why promote this tool for use in photography on Microsoft Professional Photography Site when the most important feature in synching won't work!  
    • Edited by RonTFL Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:45 PM
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

• Echo isn't supposed to delete files on the left.

From the SyncToy help:

Echo

The echo action will make copies of files that are new and changed on the left to the right.  New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right. Folder creates, folder deletes and folder updates on the left are repeated on the right.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:07 AM

All replies

• Echo isn't supposed to delete files on the left.

From the SyncToy help:

Echo

The echo action will make copies of files that are new and changed on the left to the right.  New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right. Folder creates, folder deletes and folder updates on the left are repeated on the right.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:07 AM
  • I got directions confused.  On older version of Synctoy on Windows XP, everything worked fine on Echo, including all changes and deletions from left to right.  My issue is that this appears to be a known flaw, and while nothing has been done to correct it, Synctoy 2.0 is actively promoted on Microsoft Professional Photography site (with a discalaimer of course).
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:50 PM