CRM 2011 Configuring IFD for Multiple ORGs RRS feed

• Question

• We are implementing a new CRM implementation for a client. Client is very strict about IFD DNS records. They have changed sts. and auth. prefixes to the way the want it.  They are also going to have multiple orgs within the same CRM server. Once we configure IFD on the server client wants all of their external users to log in using only one URL https://crm.domain.com. My question is- Is it possible to use just one URL for several ORGs they are going to have on single CRM server? How will users gets authenticated against those ORGs? If it is not possible then which DNS records should I create which will accomplish this? 

Ricky Abbas

Friday, May 4, 2012 4:44 AM

Answers

• The documentation says that to configure IFD for various orgs a DNS record for each ORG is needed, e.g. finance.contoso.com, legal.contoso.com,  if you have two orgs called finance and legal. Thus I would say that out of the box it's not possible.

You could create a landing page and then handle the authentication from there to the ORGs yourself but that approach is always fraught with danger.

Musings on Information Technology

• Marked as answer by RickySMX Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:49 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 7:33 AM

All replies

• The documentation says that to configure IFD for various orgs a DNS record for each ORG is needed, e.g. finance.contoso.com, legal.contoso.com,  if you have two orgs called finance and legal. Thus I would say that out of the box it's not possible.

You could create a landing page and then handle the authentication from there to the ORGs yourself but that approach is always fraught with danger.

Musings on Information Technology

• Marked as answer by RickySMX Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:49 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 7:33 AM
  • If the issue is they want everyone to bookmark crm.domain.com, you could create a page there that redirects them to the appropriate org URL...but you will need some kind of logic /somewhere/ to determine which users should get routed to which orgs. And a redirect doesn't really save you anything with respect to DNS records, since you would still need them in DNS for IFD access to work.

So, I guess I agree with ManyRoots :)

Friday, May 4, 2012 6:01 PM