Office for Mac 2011 ver 14.4.4. will not open xlsx files RRS feed

• Question

• I have just purchased office for mac 2011 on the 2nd of Sep and it will not allow me to open or save as any file that is .xlsx. When I try to open ax xlsx file I get

"Excel cannot open this file.

The file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

Can anyone help me with this? I can open an .xlsx file in preview or quick look only.

Thank you.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Kiltedpilot,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

If you have any further issue about Office for Mac, you can get more effective response from Office for Mac form.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, October 17, 2014 9:19 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 2:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The current forum is for developers. I'd suggest asking non-programming questions on the Excel IT Pro Discussions forum instead.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:07 PM
  • You might look at below article:

http://kellynford.com/2012/01/30/fix-for-excel-for-mac-2011-excel-cannot-open-this-file-the-file-format-or-file-extension-is-not-valid/

Hope this helps,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer(s) as an answer when your question is being answered.

• Proposed as answer by danishani Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:16 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Thanks Daniel! That was it.
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:09 PM
  • Hi Kiltedpilot,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

If you have any further issue about Office for Mac, you can get more effective response from Office for Mac form.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, October 17, 2014 9:19 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Why you did not move it to the appropriate Forum, by just parking in the Off-Topic post section?

Thanks,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer(s) as an answer when your question is being answered.

Monday, September 29, 2014 10:01 PM
  • Hi Danishani,

Thanks for your contribution on this thread.

>>Why you did not move it to the appropriate Forum, by just parking in the Off-Topic post section?<<

The forum for Office on mac is a different forum called Microsoft Community forum. Currently, I am not able to move the thread to that forum.

If you have any feedback about this forum, I suggest that you submit the feedback from link below:
    Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums

Best regards

Fei

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:24 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Okay, thanks for the heads up!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:40 AM