none
BUG: Multiple 'Unmarked As Answer' and error in the 'Points History'. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Here is a post with one 'Marked As Answer' and multiple 'Unmarked As Answer' (3 time).
    The issue is that for each unmark i have lost points in my "Points History". 

• Moved by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:50 PM More of a profile question (Points related) (From:Forums Issues (not product support))
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• If that's how it works, then it's a bug. You should not lose points when the same message is umarked multiple times. However, to be umarked few times, should not it first be marked? E.g. mark + 20/unmark - 20, mark + 20, unmark - 20. And if that's not how it worked, then it also may be a temporary glitch. But it will be nice to always check for the balance for the same message.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:49 PM
  • > it also may be a temporary glitch.

the issue still exists.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:55 PM
  • There's another related issue.  I've found that I've lost 'Voted as helpful' points on posts which are marked as answered (usually by a moderator) and then unmarked as answer by the original poster.  This looks like another example of this kind of bug.

Answering policy: see profile.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Are you sure? 5 points for help + 15 when answer is marked by moderator - 20 if unmarked by the OP. So, yes, it does look like you lost points, but that's the math. 

My blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:45 PM
  • IMO the unmarked answer is worth only -15, not -20.  Why should the help points be docked essentially because a moderator decided to set it as 'answered'?  (or even by the OP marking it as answered and then changing their mind?)

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:40 PM
  • I agree, it seems like a flaw in the system. However, it may be a bit more complicated to implement from the coding point of view (not too complex, though).

Right now: a quick answer marked by OP + 20, a quick answer marked by moderator + 15

A quick answer unmarked by OP - 20, a quick answer unmarked by moderator - 15

--------------------

So, say, as a moderator I unmarked an answer (I did recently when I believed provided answer was not really good) - I guess the person who provided it kept 5 points.

More frequent situation - moderator marked and OP unmarked - -5 points.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the code should be changed so every time the answer is unmarked, only points awarded will be subtracted. So, that needs to be implemented in the code.

My blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:51 PM
  • I agree, it seems like a flaw in the system. However, it may be a bit more complicated to implement from the coding point of view (not too complex, though).

I think the code should be changed so every time the answer is unmarked, only points awarded will be subtracted. So, that needs to be implemented in the code.

Yes, this looks like the right approach.  Thinking about it a bit more, I recall that the votes themselves were lost with the unmarking, not just the points.  But your scenario explains the OP's case.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I sent out the bug request. Great find and great writeup! 

UPDATE:  Logged to test. Next steps are to validate and then fix. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:25 PM
    Owner
  • I can actually confirm it now. I had 132, 617 points. One of my answers was marked by a moderator. The OP unmarked my answer and I lost 20 points (and originally gained 15). So, it is indeed a case when a person can lose points.

My blog

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:18 PM
  • I can actually confirm it now. I had 132, 617 points. One of my answers was marked by a moderator. The OP unmarked my answer and I lost 20 points (and originally gained 15). So, it is indeed a case when a person can lose points.

My blog

Okay. You can check with Brent for an update on this bug. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:44 PM
    Owner
  • BTW, I got a case when my answer was not reflected in my points or activities, so there is a possibility of missing an activity in the current system.

My blog

Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:51 AM