Anyway to Update Motherboard BIOS without activating Validation wizard? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP Professional (it has SP2 & all patches installed) has been running ok for a few months, but i noticed the power saving options (cool n quiet) werent working under my current BIOS.

Now, I have a crazy issue that updating my motherboard BIOS (so i can run cool n quiet & save a bit of power n heat) causes the activation wizard to pop up and give me 3 days to re-activate. It acts like im using an illegal copy online and wont let me re-activate (unless i restore the old BIOS). Is microsoft gonna pay for my extra power bills because it doesnt want my system running properly?

Wasn't it supposed to be major upgrades of several parts of the system to cause the re-activation wizard, not a mere motherboard BIOS update??? Surely a wizard can see it is the same motherboard just with a newer bios, same video card, sound card, hard disks, dvd drive, ram etc etc. I think you may be in need of some new software engineers and programmers to come up with a better solution.

Surely time would be better spent on patching the holes in the OS than creating poorly designed activation checks on systems everytime they run.

I can probably go about waste some of my time & ring up and get a new activation code through the hotline (which i will probably end up doing...that is, if its not against the EULA???), but i dont believe im in the wrong in this case. Troubles like this annoy people into changing from Windows to alternate OSs such as Linux.

If anyone has a solution to help me update my BIOS without causing this OS to go into re-activation mode, and save me the time of ringing up... please help...
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:02 PM

Answers

•  phantom69 wrote:
    Windows XP Professional (it has SP2 & all patches installed) has been running ok for a few months, but i noticed the power saving options (cool n quiet) werent working under my current BIOS.

Now, I have a crazy issue that updating my motherboard BIOS (so i can run cool n quiet & save a bit of power n heat) causes the activation wizard to pop up and give me 3 days to re-activate. It acts like im using an illegal copy online and wont let me re-activate (unless i restore the old BIOS). Is microsoft gonna pay for my extra power bills because it doesnt want my system running properly?

Wasn't it supposed to be major upgrades of several parts of the system to cause the re-activation wizard, not a mere motherboard BIOS update??? Surely a wizard can see it is the same motherboard just with a newer bios, same video card, sound card, hard disks, dvd drive, ram etc etc. I think you may be in need of some new software engineers and programmers to come up with a better solution.

Surely time would be better spent on patching the holes in the OS than creating poorly designed activation checks on systems everytime they run.

I can probably go about waste some of my time & ring up and get a new activation code through the hotline (which i will probably end up doing...that is, if its not against the EULA???), but i dont believe im in the wrong in this case. Troubles like this annoy people into changing from Windows to alternate OSs such as Linux.

If anyone has a solution to help me update my BIOS without causing this OS to go into re-activation mode, and save me the time of ringing up... please help...

Phantom:

Please use TELEPHONE activation. You won't be able to activate online if you change the motherboard.

-phil

Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Phantom,

It appears that your issue is not regarding Windows Genuine Advantage Validation, but Product Activation, which is out of scope for these forums.

Please know that:
    A)  You should have 30 days to re-activate windows.

B) The Motherboard is one of the defining componet of a computer as far as Product Activation is concerned and while I don’t believe that updateing the Bios should require you to reactivate, I am not an expert in Product Activation.
    You can find more information regarding Product Activation at
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_facts.mspx
    C) It should only take you 30 sec . (or so) to re-activate over the internet or around 5 min. if you activate by phone.
    You can find more information on how to activate at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

If you still require Product Activation support, you can go to https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3219&gprid=37013 for all your support options.

If I have misunderstood the issue and you require Windows Genuine Advantage support,  please run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having at a deeper level. Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    You can also open a service request at:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029

I hope this was helpfull,

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:18 PM
  • Phantom69,

What is the make and model of computer?

What is the exact make, model and PCB version of the motherboard?

What is the source of the neww BIOS, what is the old BIOS version #, and what is the new BIOS version #?

Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:34 PM
  •  phantom69 wrote:
    Windows XP Professional (it has SP2 & all patches installed) has been running ok for a few months, but i noticed the power saving options (cool n quiet) werent working under my current BIOS.

Phantom:

Please use TELEPHONE activation. You won't be able to activate online if you change the motherboard.

-phil

Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:25 PM