Deploy CRM IFD On Amazon Web Services RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up a CRM server for testing on an Amazon Web Services Host

I set up the AD server with default configuration which incuded installing a DNS server

I set up the Dynamics server (version 4.0) with default configuraton and I am able to access it through Remote Desktop on http://localhost or from a remote browser using the external DNS name of the AWS instance or an elastic IP address

I can't get the SDK to work so I am attempting to set up IFD to see if forms authentication is necessary for a remote SDK connection

Using the IFD Configuration tool I set the AD App Root Domain to my domain (TSI) and I can access the CRM application from that host itself

When I configure the IFD root domains to the AWS external DNS name (ec2-50-...) my connection from a browser that is outside the environment gets redirected to TSI.ec2-50-... which cannot be found.

I don't have control of DNS other than on that machine itself - is there any way I can configure to redirect me properly?

Thanks,
    Don Rule

Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:55 PM

Answers

• Note that there is a real problem installing CRM on AWS. It turns out that when you shut down your instance and restart it the machine name of your virtual machine changes. That really mucks up the CRM installation because it is tied to the machine name to find the SQL server. Beyond renaming the server several security groups are created with the server name embedded in them.

There may be a majic way around this but I suspect that running CRM on AWS is just not practical,

Don

• Marked as answer by Don-Rule Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:45 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• Note that there is a real problem installing CRM on AWS. It turns out that when you shut down your instance and restart it the machine name of your virtual machine changes. That really mucks up the CRM installation because it is tied to the machine name to find the SQL server. Beyond renaming the server several security groups are created with the server name embedded in them.

There may be a majic way around this but I suspect that running CRM on AWS is just not practical,

Don

• Marked as answer by Don-Rule Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:45 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:45 PM
  • From my notes...Hope this helps.

Setting a permanent Windows Hostname on EC2 

In less than obvious fashion, Amazon EC2 Windows Server AMIs reset their hostname on startup due to the Ec2ConfigService. To disable this feature, select ‘EC2ConfigService Settings’ from the start menu, and uncheck the first checkbox under ‘Set Computer Name’

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:35 PM