none
Service Endpoint AMQP only? RRS feed

• Question

• According to this statements:

Device endpoints These endpoints are exposed using MQTT v3.1.1, HTTP 1.1, and AMQP 1.0 protocols. AMQP is also available over WebSockets on port 443.

Service endpoints Each IoT hub exposes a set of endpoints your solution back end can use to communicate with your devices. These endpoints are currently only exposed using the AMQP protocol, except for the method invocation endpoint that is exposed via HTTP 1.1.

My question is: If I want to talk to the IoT hub I can use a variety of protocols. But if I want to talk to the device I can only use AMQP? What if the device doesn't talk AMQP?

Frank

Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Frank,

- You are talking to the device via the Service Endpoints.

Thanks

Roman

• Edited by Roman Kiss Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:28 AM
    Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Is it neccessary to config the endpoint if i want to use websockets?
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:02 PM
  • Hi TChiang,

IOTHub is a broker which can do two-way communication with devices.

Device <-> IotHub <-> Service

When device is sending/Receiving messages, it Connects to IOThub with supported protocols. (device endpoints) 

When the Service is responding/Sending, it is not directly talking to device, the service talks to IOTHub (service endpoints) which inturn delivers the message to Device (now this device would have connected using any one of the supported protocols, which the service need not be aware of)

hope that helps..

Sathish

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:20 PM