C# developer. What is the best certification for me to start with? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm new to Microsoft Certifications...

I'm an Electrical Engineer who changed the career direction to sw develoment in .NET. So I worked with Visual Studio 2010 for more than one year now, developing in C#. I want to continue developing desktop applications for windows.

I'v been looking over forums and the web but I'm still confused what direction I should go for my first certificate. I have the following questions:

1). I found there are different exams and goals, that might match. Should I try to get a MCSD starting with the exam 70-483 because this is the future and the old MCPD is loosing importance? If yes, is it correct, that I would have to go thru 70-483, 70-484, 70-485 to get the MCSD

2). Or should I go for the 70-511 what only would make sense if I go for 513,516 and 518 according to achieve MCPD, right? But is thet intelligent when it will expire this year? Maby I'm not fast enough with learning and then the hole work was for nothing.

3). Or is it even better to start at an other point?

4). How can I check if I'm ready for the specific exame?

5). Where can I find the best material (books, tutorials) to learn for a specific exame. I don't wanna go to classes, I want to learn at home.

Sorry for this many questions but I spent the hole day on this and I still don't know what is the best way.

Thanks

Angelo

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:37 PM

Answers

• If you are already working as a .NET developer then do not bother with MTA.  If you understand object orientated programming principles and have had some exposure to the .NET framework then getting certified will be straightforward.

There are 3 different MCSD certs so which exam you take first will depend on which one you want.  And that depends on which skillset you want to be certified for.

Right now there are no training materials in print for these certifications.  The first set of MCSD books for beginning exams will likely hit the shelves around april although not all titles have been confirmed.

I am studying for the 70-480 exam and have found that a combination of the free courses at MVA, a pluralsight membership and the "learn" section at MSDN (with the occaisional msdn blog search for anything I don't understand) covers all of the info I need.  You can see what you need to know by looking at the skills measured on the exam page you want to go for.

I really have to take my hat off to Microsoft for supporting their developers with this release.  The quality of the MSDN blog posts have really blown me away and the jumpstart videos are a really quick way to touch on all subjects.

My advice is this:

1. take any free courses relevant at MVA
    2. go through all the relevant quick start guides and follow exercices
    3. run through any relevant labs on MSDN learn section
    4. use pluralsight and MSDN blogs to plug any holes in your knowledge

A months pluralsight membership is the cost of about 1 press book so its not bad if you have time to go through it quickly.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:22 AM
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:17 PM

All replies

• I would suggest going for the mcsd if you want to learn the latest version of .net as it will be more relevant for longer but I am guessing the majority of development teams are still using .net 4 so a MCPD certification would be more relevant to them. Why is it you want to get certified? Knowing that might help us give you clearer advice
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Thanks for that answer.

I'm an electrical engineer and I study a lot at home with books, tutorials and try this and that.. I work as .NET developer but still I feel that I want to fix my knowledge and I wanna change the employer so it would be nice to have something that tells me and my new employer that I'm good in what I'm doing. I also wanna be ready for the futur so it seems to be the logical next step to get a certificate.

So because I wanna be fit for the future it seems to me that I should go for the mcsd or is it maby smarter to start with a MTA as basis?

If I go for the mcsd, the first exam I have to pass is 70-483 right? I was looking for learning stuff for that exam and there's a book on amazone (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/0735676828/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1RR419T8ZWG8WHQETJ8Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128) but it seems that it takes some time till it is released. If I don't want to wait so long to get prepared for the exam is there something else?

Thanks very much!

Angelo

• Edited by AngeloG1982 Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:38 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:31 PM
  • If you are already working as a .NET developer then do not bother with MTA.  If you understand object orientated programming principles and have had some exposure to the .NET framework then getting certified will be straightforward.

There are 3 different MCSD certs so which exam you take first will depend on which one you want.  And that depends on which skillset you want to be certified for.

Right now there are no training materials in print for these certifications.  The first set of MCSD books for beginning exams will likely hit the shelves around april although not all titles have been confirmed.

I am studying for the 70-480 exam and have found that a combination of the free courses at MVA, a pluralsight membership and the "learn" section at MSDN (with the occaisional msdn blog search for anything I don't understand) covers all of the info I need.  You can see what you need to know by looking at the skills measured on the exam page you want to go for.

I really have to take my hat off to Microsoft for supporting their developers with this release.  The quality of the MSDN blog posts have really blown me away and the jumpstart videos are a really quick way to touch on all subjects.

My advice is this:

1. take any free courses relevant at MVA
    2. go through all the relevant quick start guides and follow exercices
    3. run through any relevant labs on MSDN learn section
    4. use pluralsight and MSDN blogs to plug any holes in your knowledge

A months pluralsight membership is the cost of about 1 press book so its not bad if you have time to go through it quickly.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:22 AM
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Hi

Awesome! Thanks that was exactly the answer I was looking for.

Greets

Angelo

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:51 AM
  • I started with the 70-511 exam in June 2011. After a short period of time it was announced to be retired. Therefore I switched over and passed 70-483 (Programming in C#) in January 2013. This is a certification for a fundamental understanding of C# and its core features. But furthermore there are many topics covered which force you to dive deep into them. You should be familiar with all of the concepts mentioned in the "Skills measured" chapter of the official web site:

70-483:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-483

I recommend 70-483 over 70-480 if you are interested in C# skills, as you mentioned above. If you are interested in Windows 8 apps in general you may have the choice between them or hey, just go for both of them!

In addition I recently created an overview for further preparation material mostly from MSDN and other web resources:
    http://www.claudiobernasconi.ch/2013/01/15/microsoft-70-483-exam-preparation-guide/

Hope to help.

Twitter: @CHBernasconiC
    Blog: www.claudiobernasconi.ch

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:50 PM