Certain windows not refreshing when using Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a graduate student using remote desktop to remotely run simulations on my home computer while I am on campus.  The remote desktop works wonderfully, with the exception of the design window within the simulation program I use.  While all of the toolbars display correctly in the program, the window I edit my design in does not seem to refresh.  Instead, the window shows a portion of whatever was previously on the screen (such as the desktop background with icons or a page from my web browser). 

I do not think this is a software specific problem, because another student uses Live Mesh to connect to his home desktop to run simulations using the same program without any problems.  I have also noticed that if I right-click in the window, then close the dialog box that pops up, the portion of the window that was underneath the dialog box displays correctly.

My computer exceeds all of the minimum requirements for Live Mesh, and I have a broadband Internet connection both at home and on campus.  I will try updating my graphics drivers (although my computer is less than 6 months old).  Are there any other steps I could take to resolve this problem? 

Thanks,

--Alex
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

This sounds like you're running into some sort of display driver bug. Could you lodge a bug and collect your logs from both machines (and possibly even screenshots of the problem) and then post the ID back here for others with similar problems to validate / track?

Until that is resolved I'd recommend updating the video drivers on both machines - just in case!

Cheers,

Oren
    Friday, February 13, 2009 12:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

This sounds like you're running into some sort of display driver bug. Could you lodge a bug and collect your logs from both machines (and possibly even screenshots of the problem) and then post the ID back here for others with similar problems to validate / track?

Until that is resolved I'd recommend updating the video drivers on both machines - just in case!

Cheers,

Oren
    Friday, February 13, 2009 12:32 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Could you also answer a couple questions:

1.  What design program are you using that does not show up through Live Remote?  
    2.  And does it use DirectX screen drawing?

Thanks for your help!
    Friday, February 13, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hello,

1.  The program is Ansoft Designer.

2.  I don't know how to find out this information.  According to the Ansoft website:

Graphics
    Graphics card should provide hardware acceleration specifically for the OpenGL API. A randomly selected 3D hardware accelerated card might support Microsoft Direct3D or some other 3D API. This may not be adequate.

Friday, February 13, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Oren,

My home computer's video drivers are up to date.  I don't have administrative privileges over campus computers to do any updating.  I will read up on how exactly to lodge a bug and collect logs, and I can certainly take a screenshot of the problem.

--Alex
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Interesting - so you were able to install Live Mesh on the campus machine?

Regarding DirectX, looking through the product information it does look like it utilises DirectX for drawing.

For more information on bug submission (shouldn't take more than 3 minutes) check out this post.

Let us know how things develop...

Oren
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Perhaps the remote session is being initiated from the campus machine in the browser, Oren. That wouldn't require the install of Live Mesh client software.
    Alex, submitting the bug with logs is the best route to take. If the Live Mesh team is able to provide an answer for the cause of the problem and we get it posted here, we can update the answer (You can post the cause and solution and mark it as the asnwer). Until then, the thread is answered by submitting a bug report with logs.
    Thanks for reporting the issue to help make Live Mesh better for all of us!
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:45 PM
  • *ouch* misread - I thought the connection was home -> campus for some reason. Apologies...
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:31 AM