Connector Software Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Some relevent background before I get into the problem:

WHS with most up to date patches
    Two home PC's over ethernet connected.  Both running Windows 7
    This week had to replace my router- moved to a Linksys WRT310N
    Cannot recall if it was either just before or after I replaced the router that I cannot login via Connector
    CAN currently access server via My Computer and see all the folders etc
    CANNOT access server it via port 55000...just times out.  Get routed to RoadRunner search site when I type in:  http://home-server
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Problem began when I could not login to the server from the connector software on the two pc's.  Got a message to the effect of:  cannot connect this computer to the server. Check that the server is on and that you do not have any network issues.

So obviously I can browse to the server from the other computers to access files, however when I try to access it from the web browser it does not

I also tried to reinstall the connector software and I see the file, however when I double click on it, it just does nothing.

I have checked the router to see if there is anthing off looking there...did not see anything.  Its a pretty mainstream config.

Any ideas folks?  Much appreciated.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:26 PM

Answers

• That seemed to do the trick!  Thanks for the help on here.
    • Marked as answer by LMG7823 Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:31 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:30 PM

All replies

• Some relevent background before I get into the problem:

WHS with most up to date patches
    Two home PC's over ethernet connected.  Both running Windows 7
    This week had to replace my router- moved to a Linksys WRT310N
    Cannot recall if it was either just before or after I replaced the router that I cannot login via Connector
    CAN currently access server via My Computer and see all the folders etc
    CANNOT access server it via port 55000...just times out.  Get routed to RoadRunner search site when I type in:  http://home-server
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Problem began when I could not login to the server from the connector software on the two pc's.  Got a message to the effect of:  cannot connect this computer to the server. Check that the server is on and that you do not have any network issues.

So obviously I can browse to the server from the other computers to access files, however when I try to access it from the web browser it does not

I also tried to reinstall the connector software and I see the file, however when I double click on it, it just does nothing.

I have checked the router to see if there is anthing off looking there...did not see anything.  Its a pretty mainstream config.

Any ideas folks?  Much appreciated.
    Are you able to successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  Did you try running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe?  Have you installed the WHS Toolkit on your 32-bit or 64-bit client to see if it provides any more info?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Yes I can ping the server by both IP address and host name.

I looked for the discovery.exe file in the location you specified and could not find.  Also, how do I install the 64 bit whs toolkit client?

Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Ok was able to find both and all seems to be working fine now except my remote access is not available.  When I go to repair the connection it says my router is not configured properly and suggests I do not have UPnP enabled which I do.  Any ideas on that?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Yes I can ping the server by both IP address and host name.

I looked for the discovery.exe file in the location you specified and could not find.

That might be your problem then.  Try completely uninstalling the Connector software, reboot the client, then install the software again (make sure to install it from your server, not any Connector CD you might have).

Also, how do I install the 64 bit whs toolkit client?
    Sorry, I forgot to post the link to the user manual for it.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Ok was able to find both and all seems to be working fine now except my remote access is not available.  When I go to repair the connection it says my router is not configured properly and suggests I do not have UPnP enabled which I do.  Any ideas on that?
    I guess you don't need my last post then.  :)

If uPnP doesn't work, you have to configure your router manually.  You need to forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to the IP address of your server.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:37 PM
  • That seemed to do the trick!  Thanks for the help on here.
    • Marked as answer by LMG7823 Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:31 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:30 PM