Login problem: Request to MOE failed with status code: 404 RRS feed

• Question

• Been using live sync, so wanted to test mesh.

Installed it on win 7 64 bit, but get Request to MOE failed with status code: 404 server could not find the specified resource  at login.

Monday, March 1, 2010 4:33 PM

Answers

• After two reboots its working. Thanks.

Now to figure out how to share\sync folders between computers, on different locations on the pc.

Monday, March 1, 2010 9:25 PM

All replies

• This error typically means that you are trying to sync data with a location that doesn't exist. Can you describe your setup? How many PCs are in the Mesh? How many folders and where are they located?
    Is this error encountered before you have configured sync for that Win7 machines?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:05 PM
  • First time setting it up, so no synced folders or machines yet.

Followed the instructions

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=live_mesh&market=EN-US&querytype=keyword&query=eciveddda

Added device and downloaded the 64 bit program and installed it. But cant logon, and get that error message. After the install the machine should appear according to the message.

Going to try on another machine

Monday, March 1, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Are you installing on the Win7 x64 machine while logged on with admin rights?

I assume that you've successfully logged into Live Mesh to accept the terms of service in order to download the installer and are then trying to log in with the client using the same LiveID...
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:21 PM

Now to figure out how to share\sync folders between computers, on different locations on the pc.

Monday, March 1, 2010 9:25 PM

Glad that you got it working.
    For the sync, add the folder to the Mesh on one PC. it will be offered to the other PC on the desktop. Do the following to merge that with an existing folder on the destination PC:

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:53 PM
  • yes, i did that for documents folder in this location D:\user\Documents

But i see now that folders and files are missing from the source folder.

I set it to sync to laptop, and not sync with desktop live. Its still syncing, but files and folders are missing from source.

The laptop im syncing to was started with an empty folder.

Did a backup before syncing, but this is strange.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:06 PM
  • mmikeolson,
    As noted in the other thread that you added to, Live Mesh will only delete data from a sync pair when it is following instructions to do so based on actions from a device in the Mesh.
    In your scenario you have set the folder to sync between two devices and not the Live Desktop.
    The folder should appear on the Live Desktop for management purposes, but no data should be in it.
    If you are actually seeing files being deleted, there's a problem.
    First - no other sync type software is in use, correct?
    The order of events was:
    1. Install Live Mesh on both PCs.
    2. On desktop PC, you added the \Documents folder to the Mesh and set the properties to not sync with the Live Desktop.
    3. When the folder was offered to the laptop, you used the browse function to merge with the existing, empty documents folder on the laptop.

Note that you should have a backup of the data you intend to sync as this is a beta - while data loss is rare it can happen.

Are you sure that files are being deleted or is the file count simply changing?

-steve
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Yes, i followed those insructions. Not syncing with desktop live. On desktop live threre is just a light blue documents shortcut icon.

Compared it to the backup i took before using it (with cobian) and it has deleted folders containing pdf files and pictures. Also .doc and docx files.

Used live sync before, but have logged out of that application. Unchecked it at start up and rebooted.

Logged in to http://sync.live.com

and none of the devices are active.

Will try again tomorrow and see what happens, else its back to live sync.

Just wanted to try to online sync on local network + online storage folder.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Since you are not synchronizing with the Live Desktop, you are gaining nothing from using Live Mesh over Live Sync.
    You can run both at the same time, but you cannot have both programs pointing to the same folder. That is a possible reason for data loss. You don't want these programs overlapping in any way.
    If you wish to try Live Mesh, I'd use a different folder for your testing.
    If you decide to switch the documents folder to Live Mesh, remove the folder from Live Sync for that machine.

I'll add that rumor has it that the upcoming release for Windows Live programs and services will see the merger of Live Sync and Live Mesh in some form. This makes sense, so stay tuned to see if that is true.
    -steve

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Yes, wanted documents to behave the same way as under live sync, but with another folder D:\user\storage to use with live desktop. so will try again, if it fails run live sync for documents and mesh for storage.

Was thinking live mesh to share work folder with others

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Tried again, and files did not delete on source location.

Checked, and some files didnt get synced like .dab .sav shortcuts .lpt .ini, guess they are on the no sync list. But not important  i  guess.

Seemed a little slower to update than live sync. Looking forward to see what the new from windows live. keep sync between computers, but a little less restriction on filetypes.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Glad to read that the subsequent test performed as expected. I, too, look forward to whatever comes next. ;-)
    -steve
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:13 PM