Hijacking Internet Explorer 8, While Using Windows Live One Care, Not Removable by Any Software to Date RRS feed

• Question

• I have also been hit with a hijacking of Internet Explorer, which I have gotten to the point of identifying the second instance of Internet Explorer running without opening a window and which has been using the visible instance to run malicious code.

I too have book marks that keep showing up in on the new tab in IE 8, but cannot remove IE 8, downgrade to another version not possible to use this for, and deinstalled Windows Live One Care to attempt to use McAfee Internet Security Suite, also not able to detect or remove whatever is using IE8.

And takes up a lot of memory and slows the entire system down when it does.

Ad-Aware and SpyBot also do not detect or remove the problem, although between all 3 I did get rid of LinkedIn Tricks.

My LiveOne Care has been deinstalled, so I cannot contact support through the software.

McAfee so far has ignored the report and has not provided any response to reporting the malware.

And given many Microsoft functions require IE8,  I am having a real problem.

Is there an option through Microsoft Windows Live One Care, which allowed so much registry modification, malware, and spyware that I took it off, and created this mess, to provide support without my having to switch firewalls etc again?

This workstation is connected to DSL for large amounts of time, and Live One Care is simply not as well developed yet for this purpose as the combination of what the other software do for me in terms of security protections.

And I am now having Firefox slow down the way IE8 had been before this started, but without a visible second instance.

Safari is much less compatible with Microsoft IE using applications than Firefox is, so this is also a big problem.

There were security problems like this with Mosaic when it was released that were not identified until situations like this one came up, but this one is a real issue and I need to get anything and anybody else using this computer like this out of my machine.

And have no resources willing to do so, so far.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• As a One Care subscriber you should still be able to get help from One Care support even though you have uninstalled One Care from the infected computer. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Thanks, I have.

The recent Windows updates included security updates which are supposed to block problems like this.

But I still have a 2nd instance of IE8 if I open IE8, and firefox has started to slow down massively the way IE8 did originally, without a second instance being listed.  So I have contacted support.

mmp
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:41 PM