Event ID 514 and 517 after client backup RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent the past 3 hours researching round the web for this with no luck.

I'm attempting to backup a client running windows server 2008 R2 on my windows home server 2011. This has worked flawlessly until the past few days. Now when a backup is attempted I get the following errors.

Image Removed due to: "Body of text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account"

(side note on this, I contacted MS a few days ago as suggested elsewhere as it seems to be a common issue, I asked for verification to be resent as I cannot reset it myself and my account was already verified but have had no reply)

Log Name:      WSSG
    Source:        Windows Server
    Date:          27/11/2012 09:44:17
    Event ID:      514
    Task Category: Backup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      WIN-2008-64
    Description:
    Backup job 3 on WHS2011 did not succeed.  Reason: ClientException, System.String[]
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Server" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="53247">514</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-27T09:44:17.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>87</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>WSSG</Channel>
        <Computer>WIN-2008-64</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>3</Data>
        <Data>WHS2011</Data>
        <Data>ClientException, System.String[]</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Image Removed due to: "Body of text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account"

Log Name:      WSSG
    Source:        Windows Server
    Date:          27/11/2012 09:51:59
    Event ID:      517
    Task Category: Backup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      WIN-2008-64
    Description:
    Backup of volume S: to WHS2011 did not succeed. Reason: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: The system cannot find the path specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupUtil.Win32.CreateFile(String fileName, FileAccess desiredAccess, ShareMode shareMode, IntPtr securityAttributes, CreateDisposition createDisposition, CreateFlags createFlags, Handle templateFile)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.Volume.InternalConstructor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Server" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="53247">517</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-27T09:51:59.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>89</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>WSSG</Channel>
        <Computer>WIN-2008-64</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>4</Data>
        <Data>S:</Data>
        <Data>WHS2011</Data>
        <Data>System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: The system cannot find the path specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupUtil.Win32.CreateFile(String fileName, FileAccess desiredAccess, ShareMode shareMode, IntPtr securityAttributes, CreateDisposition createDisposition, CreateFlags createFlags, Handle templateFile)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.Volume.InternalConstructor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name, Boolean writable, Int32 bytesPerCluster)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.NTFS.Volume..ctor(VolumeInfo volumeInfo, String name)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Originally I also had Event ID 8194 but I have resolved this after editing security settings for COM services and it has gone.

When I checked vss writers I found no errors.

Now, I'm thinking where it's gone wrong is as follows;

A few days ago I resized the partitions on my OS drive containing Win server 2008 R8 to claim back unused and unallocated space. I ended up having to recreate the bootmgr due to also removing an old dual OS boot with win 7. Now I believe it's since then that the backups have not worked for this client. They work fine on all others and used to on this one. I removed the client completely from WHS 2011 and reinstalled the connector software and tried from fresh but still same issue, so it obviously lies with the client.

Everything I've read points to an issue with security policies but I'm not entirely sure where to take it from there.

I don't have 3rd party security software running and the firewall is disabled. I do run another scheduled backup from EASEus software but again, this worked fine alongside whs prior to having to restructure partitions and fix bootmgr.

Really want to resolve this, any help appreciated.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:43 AM

All replies

• I had a similar issue after resizing the partitions on a Win7 client, but not sure about the event id's.

I had to rerun the "Customize Backup for the computer" in the Dashboard. Selecting the option to add or remove backup items, it turned out that the previous partitions were marked as offline and the newly created ones were not selected. Deselecting the old ones and selecting the new ones solved the issue.

Luc.

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:08 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:30 AM
  • I had a similar issue after resizing the partitions on a Win7 client, but not sure about the event id's.

I had to rerun the "Customize Backup for the computer" in the Dashboard. Selecting the option to add or remove backup items, it turned out that the previous partitions were marked as offline and the newly created ones were not selected. Deselecting the old ones and selecting the new ones solved the issue.

Luc.

Was the first thing I tried. As I mentioned, I went as far as removing the client altogether and starting afresh, but still no go. Must be a solution to this, I'm certain it's todo with the security policies but I'm clueless as to how to go about tackling it, I am however a very fast learner, just need someone to point me the right way.
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:08 PM