Scheduleing backups of WHS with external USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• I installed an external USB hard drive on my WHS to preform backups of shared folders and files.  On the initial installation, the process went smoothly and the inital backup took place.  While looking at some settings for the WHS backup process recently, I noticed that the Server backup had not been done since the original installation of the external drive.

I cannot find any setting to automatically backup the WHS to this external USB hard drive.  Right clicking on Server in the Computers & Backup tab shows the following are greyed out: Configure Backup, Remove Computer, Turn Off Backups.

Question: Is preforming a backup of the WHS Shared Folders a manual process?  I would think that you would be able to set this option as an automatic function to be preformed after connected computers are backed up nightly.

Thanks,

Gene-MMCMSW

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:44 PM

Answers

• Question: Is preforming a backup of the WHS Shared Folders a manual process?

Yes. Server backups can only be started manually.
    The idea is that you connect the external drive, run the backup and then disconnect it again to store it at a save (preferably off-site) location.

This way, your data will be save in case somthing "bad" happesn to your server.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Gene-MMCMSW Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Theo.  After I posted the question, I realized that what I was asking was not an option.  If something "bad" happens, you can rebuild the server and reinstall the WHS software to start backing up my network systems.  Shared files and folders would be lost especially if the networked systems were also destroyed.  I now backup my WHS at least twice a week and store the drive in a fire proof safe.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Question: Is preforming a backup of the WHS Shared Folders a manual process?

Yes. Server backups can only be started manually.
    The idea is that you connect the external drive, run the backup and then disconnect it again to store it at a save (preferably off-site) location.

This way, your data will be save in case somthing "bad" happesn to your server.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Theo.  After I posted the question, I realized that what I was asking was not an option.  If something "bad" happens, you can rebuild the server and reinstall the WHS software to start backing up my network systems.  Shared files and folders would be lost especially if the networked systems were also destroyed.  I now backup my WHS at least twice a week and store the drive in a fire proof safe.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:41 PM