4.0 Printing Problem RRS feed

• Question

• We have a custom entity that was created in 3.0.  We have upgraded to 4.0 and the entity still appears to work correctly however when we try to print it the text is all pushed together.  This custom entity has several fields in it that are created as 'ntext' field.  In 3.0 if you entered a hard carriage return to represent multiple paragraphs they would print out the same in the printed version.  However, in 4.0 that is not the case.  When you view the information online it appears with the correct paragraph format but when you print it it is all pushed together to form one long paragraph.  Is there a setting or something that I may have missed when configuring 4.0?

Thanks for your help.

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• I tested both an upgraded application and a new install.  I was able to print with the line or carriage breaks preserved from the Activity record screen.  Below are the steps I took.  Let me know if you took a different path.

Open an Activity record that has several line or carriage returns in the Activity description field (this is the ntext field).
    Select the "Print" icon from the top menu and the print preview window opens with the data that will print
    The carriage returns or line breaks are preserved
    Select the Print icon from the top menu items
    Select my default printer
    Select Print

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:40 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hello Theresa,

We are running into the same issue and not having any luck or resolution.

Did you get any further on this issue?

Thank you for your time.

Randy Torok

Harris Technology

randy.torok@harris-tech.com

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  

How to resolve common problems that may occur when you upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947061

Regards,

Imran

Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:06 PM
  • I'm seeing the same problem as well. Did any of you find a solution yet? The KB (kb947061) referenced above didn't have any relevant info that I could see.

Thanks,

Steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:18 PM
  • We are having the same problem with printing activities in CRM 4. We did not upgrade from 3.0 (and I suspect that has little to do with the original poster's problem). The carriage returns in ntext fields don't seem to be kept when the print preview form comes up. However, if the same data is pasted into a note on the notes tab of the activity, the carriage returns are kept when the activity is printed.

Can anyone give any insight into this problem? Is there a fix for this? It would seem this is a serious problem.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:58 PM
  • I tested both an upgraded application and a new install.  I was able to print with the line or carriage breaks preserved from the Activity record screen.  Below are the steps I took.  Let me know if you took a different path.

Open an Activity record that has several line or carriage returns in the Activity description field (this is the ntext field).
    Select the "Print" icon from the top menu and the print preview window opens with the data that will print
    The carriage returns or line breaks are preserved
    Select the Print icon from the top menu items
    Select my default printer
    Select Print

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:40 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:47 PM